Whirlpool Dryer Trouble

Old 02-13-06, 05:26 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Dryer Trouble

Model: GGQ8858EQ0 Gas Dryer.

The unit does not heat. It spins, etc. But the gas does not come on. It sounds like it is clicking (I can not be 100% certain of this at this time), but it isn't lighting, etc.

Could somebody please tell me what to look for if
a) it is clicking, but not lighting, etc.
b) it isn't clicking.

Thanks,

Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 08:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Pete. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The clicking is most likely the solenoids opening or shutting down. But could be one or more other noises. First thing to check is the hot surface glow ignitor. (HSI) If it is not glowing, replace it. If it glows and shuts off, solenoids or flame sensor may be defective.

More detailed info here:

Dryer help here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve the problem.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection, servicing and or repairs.

Old 02-14-06, 09:38 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips! The thermal fuse was the problem. Tested it, and then jumped it and things worked fine.

Question. Is there something I should know or check that may have caused the thermal fuse to blow or is this just something that happens from time to time?

Thanks for all the help,

Pete

Old 02-15-06, 08:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Pete

Based upon the frequency posted in this forum, not that often for the numbers of dryer problems. Not all dryers have one either. Why some do and some do not is beyond me or I forgot what I learned years ago in school. Encounter every brand made in the USA and not sure why some do and others do not. Must be based upon the features and optional selections.