Converting O'Keefe & Merrit stove to propane

Old 02-18-06, 11:19 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting O'Keefe & Merrit stove to propane

I have a 1950's O'Keefe & Merrit stove and I'm moving to a propane area. A local store told me I needed a propane regulator ($45) and I might be able to adjust the burner orfices to give a good flame with propane. I looked in the stove and there is no regulator on the gas line, so one question is if this is correct...do I need a propane regulator and does this price seem right?

The top burner orfices seem to be adjustable, they look like there is a needle and a threaded cover that will move the orfice in and out of the needle. Is it just a matter of making an adjustment here?

How about the burner pilot lights, what do I do with them. And the ovens also, are there jets that need to be replaced, and same with the oven pilot lights?

Lastly, is the propane regulator necessary just for the oven, or also for the top burners?

Lots of questions...thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this.

John

Old 02-18-06, 07:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You probably will be able to use the tank reg to provide proper pressure(provided it is 2 stage reg)..Most O/M ranges of that vintage are easily converted via adjustments..The pilots only need to be adjusted thru pilot valves. I would certainly suggest you let whomever is going to supply your propane do the conversion for safety sake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: