how big of a propane tank for cooktop??

Old 03-09-06, 11:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how big of a propane tank for cooktop??

Hello-

Currently doing the switch from an electric cooktop to a gas cooktop - 5-burner, 36" Jenn Air. I currently have 2, 100# tanks at the house for my gas logs. I go through about 2-3 tanks a winter for the gas logs (we burn them a lot) - I'm trying to decide whether to get a bigger bottle for the house that the gas company fills bimonthly or if I will be ok with the 2, 100# tanks. I really don't have any idea what type of gas consumption to expect from this cooktop - we cook at home probably 5 nights a week - and with our first child on the way, it will probably turn into 7, but I'll assume I'm going to use my charcoal grill twice per week!

Thanks for any advice!

Rick

Old 03-09-06, 02:13 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rikmoor
Hello-

have any idea what type of gas consumption to expect from this cooktop - we cook at home
Thanks for any advice!

Rick
Unless you bake a LOT, I wouldn't worry about it. Gas cooktops don't use much, typically less than a gas grill actually.

I run mine on a 30 lb tank (about 5 gallons), and it has to be filled about once a year.

Old 03-09-06, 06:58 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Wow I fill my 100 lb tank every year and I just use it for my grill!

Old 03-10-06, 03:08 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You shouldn't see that much of an increase in usage. Even the largest "power" burner of the cook top you describe will only burn one gallon of propane if running for five to six hours continuously on high setting. In retrospect, your small simmer burner will have to run over 23 hours on high to burn the same amount.

There should be no reason you need to upgrade you tank to a larger one. Just be sure to notify your propane provider of the increased usage so they can adjust your delivery schedule.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: