GE Oven lighting intermittently

Old 03-11-06, 12:02 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Oven lighting intermittently

Hello,
I have a GE XL44 model JGBP32SEH1SS that is 2.5 years old. For about 1.5 hours today the oven would not turn on (HSI coil did not glow). During this time, the range top worked, and the broiler worked (with a brief delay). Now that it is working again, the oven HSI glow appears the same as the broiler HSI glow, and begins glowing immediately when the oven is turned on.
No chemicals or food have been introduced to the HSI, and it worked fine 2 days ago.
Today it is extremely windy outside, and my central gas furnace has had some difficulty lighting. Is it possible that if I turn the oven on at the same time that the furnace is trying to ignite, or is running, that there might be insufficient gas pressure to allow the HSI to start? Does the oven burner require more gas than the broiler or range burners? I'm certain that the oven has been used before simultaneously with the furnace, but I can't say that the furnace has been acting up during those times.
I'll wait and see if the problem recurs before I replace the oven coil. Any advice on what could result in the HSI not glowing for a few hours would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Rob

Old 03-12-06, 05:14 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Rob and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Intermittent operation is always difficult to diagnose. If you are handy with a volt meter, check voltage at the wire terminal with the condition reappears. To do this you will need to remove the quick disconnect wire terminal from the igniter. (HSI) Voltage should be 110-120 volts A/C.

More than likely the primary cause it the igniter. May glow but not hot enough. Only real solution, if voltage is present or the igniter does glow prior to volt testing, is to replace the igniter. More than likely doing so will resolve the problem. Not likely any gas pressure problem based upon the problem description described.

More info here:
Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Question has been asked and answered many times prior. Reading questions asking the same question and or those pertaining to ovens will provide plenty of causes and solutions.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: