two dryers, one vent hose

Old 03-25-06, 12:31 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
two dryers, one vent hose

i've used a gas dryer for about 10 years vented to the outside, but recently i was given an electric dyer. since i also had an electrical hookup in the basement, i decided to use two dryers to make the laundry go faster. i vented the new electric dryer by tying the vent hose into the side of the existing vent hose from the gas dryer, sealed it with duct tape, and i now have two dryers blowing into the same hose to the outside. does anyone see any potential safety problems with that?

Old 03-26-06, 05:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Mark

No an advisable idea. When the gas dryer is on and the electric is on, back pressure will effect air flow to cause a restriction. Therefore, the serious problem is back flow air in the gas dryer effecting the burner flame. Which is likely to cause some products of combustion to increase and create excessive carbon monoxides,etc. Best and safest method is to individually vent each dryer separately. Your idea to combine vents is not new and never found one the worked properly, safely or effectively.

More info contained here:
Dryer help here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move or keep your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: