gas oven problems

Old 03-25-06, 12:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas oven problems

Hi
I have a Fridgetaire gas stove fgf316bsb. We bought it second hand but did not check the oven. the stove works well but the oven will not turn on.
I can see the element glowing bright orange but I donnt smell any gas. Any suggestions of what could be wrong?
Thank you
diana

Old 03-26-06, 05:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Diana and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Chances are the glowing igniter is too weak to ignite gas. Therefore, the burner valve will not open and allow gas out. Replace the igniter and the problem will likely be solved.

Either the gas valve is defective or the glow igniter is weak. The glow igniter may be glowing but simply not hot enough to pass enough current to the gas valve. High resistance means igniter is using all the available current which allows none to get to the gas valve. Valve needs 5 volts to operate.

Hot surface igniter's use current to glow but they require plenty. When they reach a preset value of resistance to the current they allow 5 volts to pass onto the gas valve so it can open.

A weak igniter is absorbing too much current in an attempt to glow hot enough to provide positive ignition. Little or No current is left to activate the gas valve.

Best first attempt to fix it is to replace that igniter. Unplug the appliance and remove the existing igniter. Replace it with exact OEM igniter. Substitute brand names may not be equally the same. Buy the OEM type at any local appliance parts dealer in your area.

More info here:
Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Web Sites Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 03-26-06, 07:53 PM
thank you

Thank you for your reply. I have an ohm meter any chance I can tell if it is faulty or not with my meter?
diana

Old 03-27-06, 02:31 PM
help I replaced the igniter

Hi
I have now replaced the igniter and it is still how working. I see a beautiful orange glow but no gas smell or gas flame. What should I try next?
diana

Old 03-27-06, 07:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Diana

Try this. When the new igniter if fully bright, tap the gas valve with the handle end of a wooden knife or screw drive. A mildly hard tap should open the gas valve and the burner should light. Do this carefully so as not to get arm burned while reaching in there to tap gas valve.

If burner lites, the gas valve is defective. If it does not, look for a tiny shut off valve some where at the end of the aluminum gas supply tube going into the burners gas valve. Trace the tube back away from the burner valve to it's source of gas. Tiny valve will be there. Turns a quarter turn open or closed. That tiny gas valve may be closed. If so, open it and burner should light.

Use the reply button and advise which of the above is present.
Or if valve was off or if burner lights, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: