Gas alarm sounds when I open the dryer

Old 04-01-06, 07:30 PM
W
wgc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas alarm sounds when I open the dryer

This stupid gas alarm has awakened the baby for the last time. I need to either figure out what is going on or I will be tempted to just remove it.

I have a combination gas-CO alarm mounted in the ceiling of my basement about six feet from my laundry machines (gas dryer, gas water heater). Sometimes when the laundry has been used all day then sits for a while, when I do finally go downstairs to switch machines, the gas alarm goes off. It only happens briefly: if I hit the "snooze" button, it never goes off again. It never goes off when the machines are in use. I never smell gas. It never says CO.

Any ideas what can be happening, whether I should be worried, and whether I can do anything about it? Maybe I just need to move it a little farther away, but it is about one third of the way from the laundry machines to the gas furnace and water heater and I don't think I want to be right on top of those either. Could it be sewer gas? Could it be "normal" for a little pocket of gas to be caugth in the washer (from hot water?) or dryer? I'm not even sure where to post this question, but am trying here since it plainly happens after I use a gas appliance and I am giving the alarm the benefit of the doubt when it says gas.

Old 04-01-06, 07:33 PM
W
wgc
upstairs gas alarm never sound

Oh yeah, also: The upstairs gas-CO alarms never sound. I guess I haven't been too worried since the alarms in the living area of the house never register anything, I never smell anything, it rarely happens, and it always clears right up.

Old 04-02-06, 05:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Greetings wgc. Welcome to the Gas Appliances forum topic.

Try this. Switch sensors. Remove one from the house and put it in the laundry room and the existing one in the laundry room in the house and note what happens over the next several days. Just may be that current alarm is faulty. May be worth a try before assuming gas is present, which is not so likely.

Old 04-05-06, 07:30 PM
W
wgc
nothing with either

Maybe I have to build up another big laundry day to re-create the circumstances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: