Bench testing an oven Igniter

Old 06-25-06, 02:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bench testing an oven Igniter

Stove is a Magic Chef gas model 515a-2kla-on. Age approximately 16 years old.

Can an oven igniter be bench tested ??.

The oven of our Magic Chef Gas stove will not ignite. In checking I notice that the igniter glows a bright Yellowish/Orange color (Oven gets quite warm just from the glow of the igniter) but the burner does not lite 98% of the time. The last time when it finally lit the burner went out after about 3 minutes. Other times I had noticed the flame when initally started had a low blue flame around the burner then the flame got larger. I don't know whether to replace the Igniter or the gas safety valve or both, and advise would be appreciated.

The replacement part number listed are maytag;
Gas safety valve - 7501P131-60
Igniter - 7432P032-60

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-06, 07:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello mandlay. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

16 years old. Best bet is to replace both igniter and gas valve at the same time. If you do not, chances are the one not replaced will be the real problem cause.

Or the part not replaced will burn out shortly afterwards. Just the way it often happens and why most service techs replace both igniter (HSI) and gas valve on the first service call.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 06-26-06, 05:36 PM
M
Thank you for the timely response but I still am curious, can an oven igniter be bench tested ??.

Old 06-26-06, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes. Simply unplug the two wires to the HSI at the nearby jack. Then take a simple $15 multimeter and set it to ohms and see what you get when touching each lead of the tester to each end of the wires. These things have very little resistance. With furnaces with HSI ignition I guess readings 65 and under are okay. Everytime I go to test one my meter goes up about as high as what it is if you touch each probe to each end of a copper wire.

I doubt it is your gas valve. I would guess that your pilot flame is not engaging your flame sensor as good as it could be. You can easily remove that 2-3 inch probe flame sensor usually has one screw holding them in place. Polish the probe with steel wool. IF that is not it, you could have a burr or rust scale in the pilot orifice hole and you can disassemble and ream out with teeny weeny pin or one strand of small-wire wire brush.

IF you do any disassembly of gas components, you must be careful to use correct paste or teflon tape for gas, and do not strip fittings. Never try to force pilot tubes to try to thread back on. If it doesn't start to go back in the hole easily, you must slightly alter your angles. Never force anything. Do a gas leak test afterwards. Only use smallest wrenches necessary so you don't create a lot of leverage. Never apply so much pressure as to strip threads.