gas dryer hook up

Old 06-28-06, 02:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas dryer hook up

I hooked up a gas dryer myself, following all the instructions.
The gas line was all set up I just connected it to the dryer and open the line.
Did the vent to outside too.
I did the the soap detergent to test for leak, no bubbles.
What I want to know Is there another way of checking for gas leak?
I tried to smell from the connection itself but I'm not sure.
I do smell something, like a sweet gas odor but not strong, so I close the line. this smell is not concentrated in the back of the dryer, its in the air by thr dryer.
If there is a leak would it smell like gas for cars?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 02:45 PM
H
Originally Posted by tamboks70
What I want to know Is there another way of checking for gas leak?
The only sure fire way to test for leaks is with a water manometer.

Originally Posted by tamboks70
If there is a leak would it smell like gas for cars?
Nothing like the odor of gasoline. Gas (natural or propane) gives off more of a sulfer (rotton egg) smell.

Old 06-29-06, 06:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello tamboks70. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If you are sure there isn't any gas leak from the most of the parts you connected, try this. Soap that first fitting, the female-male fitting (adapter) you installed from the installation kit (adapter parts used to connect the gas flex line) onto the black inlet gas pipe going into the dryer. Look for very tiny bubbles. Wait several minutes and look very closely.

Finding nothing there, might try the union connection nut at the gas control valve inside the dryer. The union hex nut will be located to the right side of the gas control valve. Soap that large nut AND the tiny isolation valve it is connected to.

Sometimes during gas connection installation, that large hex head nut loosens ever so slightly and a very tiny leak may result. Worth a check if the gas control valve is easily accessible through a front panel access. Most are not on most newer models.

If you have a gas stove, let some gas out of a top burner. No flame, just a small amount of gas. Smell it. If that is what the odor is like near the dryer, there is a tiny leak. If the gas odor smelled at the stove top burner does not smell like the odor at the dryer, it isn't likely gas.

Dryer must not be in operation during the above test, nor when you say you smell that odor. Dryer must not have been used for several hours when odor present. If odor is present during operation, contact service agent for burner etc. adjustment. Dryer will be under warranty, if new.

Dryer Help Information Sticky Note: here

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 06-30-06, 06:55 PM
T
gas dryer hook up

thanks to everyone who responded
I found the leak, when i was wipimg the connection with a wet washcloth I might have put too much detergent and did not dilute it with water enough.