Gas Dryer

Old 06-29-06, 12:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Dryer

I am having someone come in to install ceramic tile in my laundry room.I will have to disconnect the gas dryer and the washing machine(I'm okay with the washing machine).My question:how do I disconnect the gas dryer?What do I have to do to reconnect the dryer?
The installer won't do the dryer and the logistics of getting a second person to disconnect and reconnect the dryer in coordination with the tile installer would be impossible!We need to have the dryer out for the briefest time possible.
Many thanks

Old 06-29-06, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have that flexible tubing gas line that has those accordian-like ridges on it?

You need to shut off the gas valve that is the one that is in the gas piping itself, that is outside the dryer and probably within a few feet of the dryer, up the line somewhere.

Then you choose which is best and which will cause less likely hood of someone having an accident and crimping the line: Either disconnect it at the fitting right behind the dryer, or, leave what is connected to the back of the dryer and instead disconnect it further upstream where it connects to a piping fitting, so that you get the whole line out of the guys way.

Always use 2 wrenches; one to hold the fitting and one to unloosen the tubing.

In reinstallation always use the smallest size wrenches that fit the fittings to reduce the chance of you overleverage tightening/possible stripping of the threads. When unloosening the connections at flare coupling connections, no dope or tape is necessary. (Nor do you want anything on the threads that may keep you from bottoming out the male part of the flare to the female part of the flare.) Only if you are undoing piping at pipe threads do you need to either rewrap the threads with teflon tape made for gas (I think it is yellow), or use the pipe dope that is for gas lines.

You can test them afterwards for any leak with a soap water solution or buy the stuff in a spray bottle that they sell for this at home stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: