Propane adapter????

Old 07-07-06, 04:43 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane adapter????

I'm needing an adapter that will allow me to fill my small propane bottles from my big bulk tank. I have misplaced the one I had, PLEASE HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-06, 02:22 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the propane industry it is common to "drift" a small tank (20#) to a large house hold tank for run outs. I've never heard of anyone looking to do it in reverse.

What exactly is it you're looking to do?

Realistically, you can not fill smaller propane tanks from larger ones (anything above a 100# cyl). To do so properly you need to turn the larger tank upside down so the liquid flows from tank to tank. If you don't get the liquid from the bottom, you are only pressurizing the tank being filled. Not filling it with liquid.

What is needed is a hose with a male pol connection on one end and the proper fitting on the other end to attach to the tank being filled (pol male or acme female).

Note: It is only recommended to fill BBQ tanks by weight or through the fixed liquid level gauge. Using the Overfill Protection Device (OPD) on the tanks is not recommended as they can fail. The OPD is used as a safety to prevent overfilling. It should not be used in habit to know when the tank is full. Liquified propane gas expands rapidly and tanks should not be filled by a DIY'er.

Old 07-08-06, 04:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by onefemail
I'm needing an adapter that will allow me to fill my small propane bottles from my big bulk tank. I have misplaced the one I had, PLEASE HELP!!
Define small bottle and bulk tank.

Adaptors are readily available to refill the small cylinders used on torches and tabletop grills from a 20-40# tank. Places like Northern Tools and Harbor Freight sell them.

Like Hank said, if you are filling from a larger tank, it needs what is known as a 'liquid draw'.