Max length for gas supply line on dryer?

Old 07-10-06, 12:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Max length for gas supply line on dryer?

We just bought a new washer/dryer, and are going to have them installed on Sat. The doors on the new ones are on the "wrong" side for our laundry room. For the door to open away from each other (front loaders), the dryer would need to be on the right and the washer on the left.

Our water supply is on the right, and the dryer duct/gas line are on the left. I've got hoses long enough for the water supply, and think I have the dryer venting worked out. But the standard gas supply line for a dryer is 4', which I'm not sure is long enough.

Is it OK to use a longer gas supply line? If so, where would I get one - everyone seems to stock the standard 4', and noone knows for sure what sizes are needed to use something else.

Thanks for any help.
-Steve

Old 07-10-06, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Before you do that see if the dryer door is reversible. I've seen them you remove the door and fip it around and install it that way(I.E if the door opened to the left it would now open to the right)

Originally Posted by sungar
We just bought a new washer/dryer, and are going to have them installed on Sat. The doors on the new ones are on the "wrong" side for our laundry room. For the door to open away from each other (front loaders), the dryer would need to be on the right and the washer on the left.

Our water supply is on the right, and the dryer duct/gas line are on the left. I've got hoses long enough for the water supply, and think I have the dryer venting worked out. But the standard gas supply line for a dryer is 4', which I'm not sure is long enough.

Is it OK to use a longer gas supply line? If so, where would I get one - everyone seems to stock the standard 4', and noone knows for sure what sizes are needed to use something else.

Thanks for any help.
-Steve

Old 07-10-06, 01:15 PM
S
Thanks for the idea. That is possible with these dryers, but the door on the washer isn't reversible. So you're still stuck with a door in the middle.

Old 07-10-06, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would purchase a piece of black iron pipe and possibly a coupling, if needed, and extend the gas line. Most Hardware stores will cut you a piece of pipe and thread the ends. Flex gas connectors are pretty much standard lengths so you may not find what you need. Usually, the size (diameter) changes as the length increases. Good luck.

Old 07-10-06, 06:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello sungar. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The flexible gas line you are referring to can be purchased in 7 foot lengths also. May not be common or common in your area but are available.

If 7 feet isn't long enough, you'll need to extend the supply pipe (usually 1/2 inch iron pipe) to where the dryer will be located. Turn off gas before removing any pipe cap or existing shut off valve.

Than use an elbow (same size as existing pipe) on the exposed existing gas line. Extend to where needed, install shut off valve, than install flex gas line to dryer. Use the female/male adapter on the gas inlet line to the dryer.

All info is based upon using nat gas. Propane gas installation may or may not be the same. Check local codes.

Dryer help here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 07-10-06, 09:04 PM
S
Thanks for the info. The 7 foot hose sounds exactly like what I would need (or even 6 feet). While I'm willing to take on lots of different kinds of projects, I draw the line at things that can blow up the house. Got to know your limits!

Any suggestions on where I can look for a longer hose in the San Diego area? A local HW store said they had a 7' gas line in 1/2 inch, but I don't know if that's the right one or not.

Thanks again.
-Steve

Old 04-02-08, 01:15 AM
S
6' is the maximum length by code in ca.

Old 04-02-08, 01:23 AM
S
continuation

a plumbing supply house. ferguson supply, wright plumbing, plumbing world just some supply houses

Old 04-02-08, 02:22 PM
S
i checked the code book and the max. is 6' for a range or dryer connection all others are 3' max.
code 1212.0 appliance connectors
uniform plumbing code
2000 edition

Old 04-02-08, 02:25 PM
S
correct info.

i checked the code book and the max. is 6' for a range or dryer connection all others are 3' max.
code 1212.0 appliance connectors
uniform plumbing code
2000 edition

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: