Kenmore Slow Preheat

Old 08-17-06, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Slow Preheat

I have a Kenmore Gas Range (362.75675691) That continues to take longer and longer to preheat. It takes over 30 minutes to preheat to 350, but if I turn on the broiler, it preheats to 475 in 10 minutes. It also sounds like the gas is shutting off and reigniting every couple of seconds when preheating.

Based on other threads, it sounded like the issue could be the igniter, so I switched the igniters on the top and bottom. After switching this, it was taking a long time for the broiler to ignite (about a minute), but the bottom burner ignited much more quickly than it did before switching the ingniters.

When I removed the lower igniter, I noticed that there was significant burred edges on a hole about 1/4" in diameter near the igniter - I am guessing that this should not be like this. When the burner was lit, there was a significantly larger flame coming from this hole and around the igniter. Is this safe, or should the bake burner and the igniter both be replaced?

Am I on the right track, or is there something else that I should be looking at?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-06, 08:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Tony and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

I condition you described indicates there is a hole in the burner where the igniter is located. That hole having a larger flame than any other area around the burner.

If such is the case, the other flames would be smaller because there is only a limited amount of gas coming out of the gas valve. So the enlarged hole gets most of the gas, less restirction being the cause, thus smaller flames around the burner except where the hole is located.

Solution, should the above apply, is to replace the burner and the igniter while in the repair process. Doing so will restore the oven to it's original condition. Problem solved.

And by the way, the switching of igniters was a good test and also indicated you read the sticky note and or several prior replys. All good pre testing prior to posting the question. I congratulate you for doing so.

If you need any additional help, use the reply button to continue this thread on your ovens condition. Hopefully, the above information is enough to resolve the present condition.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Sticky Note Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."