Magic Chef oven not working

Old 09-03-06, 07:01 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Magic Chef oven not working

First let me say that I know literally nothing about the workings of a gas oven. I went to put my meal in the oven after preheating to find there was no heat. The range tops work just fine. I do not smell gas, I do not hear clicking and I have no idea where a pilot light is. (I know.... repairman's worst nightmare). This is an older oven. I would estimate at least 10 years old. I don't know for sure as it came with the house. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Or should I play it safe, scrap the meal and call a repairman?

Flustered and hungry

Old 09-03-06, 07:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Replace Hot Surface Igniter

Hello angwils and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

If all the selections and settings are correctly set on the front control panel, chances are the hot surface igniter (HSI) isn't glowing or isn't glowing hot enough to ignite gas. HSI not glowing or HSI not glowing hot enough will not allow the burner to work. No gas will flow to burner.

You can remove the existing igniter and replace it with a new igniter yourself. Not a difficult nor complicated task, if you are reasonably handy with small hand held tools and have the tools.

Instructions and about all the helpful information will be found in the sticky note in this forum topic.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: