Is it safe to use downdraft exhaust with propane cooktop

Old 09-10-06, 06:08 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to use downdraft exhaust with propane cooktop

I do not have the ability to use a vent hood for my new cooktop that I am using propane gas. Is it safe to use a downdraft exhaust when using propane?

Old 09-10-06, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums Hansenelli

I do not know what the codes are where you are but here it is a requirement in new construction that all ranges and/or cook tops have a vent hood above them.

I'm not sure what you mean by downdraft exhaust.
Are you referring to a Jenn-Air style vent in the counter next to the cook top?
I have never seen this done and unless the instructions with your cook top say you can specifically do this it could interfere with the operation of the burners.

Like I said I have never seen this done but maybe someone else has.
As clean a flame is with propane or natural gas you still will have some products of combustion being released into your living space.
Not only would this be a breathing hazzard IMO, if you live in a cold climate the moisture released could affect your structure.

Old 09-13-06, 07:45 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Conditions To Consider & Request For More Details

Hello Hansenelli. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Both Greg and I need more detailed information about why an over the range exhaust vent cannot be used. Would also need the brand and model number for that specific appliance.

I have encountered many such vented stove tops in counter tops where an over the appliance venting hood was not used. Some codes in some areas of this country (USA) do not require such appliances to be vented.

Reasoning is they are not automatically and remotely operated. You have to be there in the physical sense to operate the appliance.

As such, that group of appliance is considered to be manually operated and in plain sight. Therefore, not automatically operated nor out of sight and remotely operated.

Out of sight and remotely operated would be a heater with a thermostat where heater is not visible. Thermostat controls heater which is located elsewhere.

Same condition applies to a water heater. Automatically turns on and off to maintain set temp but appliance may not be and usually is not located in plain view.

Therefore, water heaters and furnaces that heat living spaces are classified as automatically and remotely operated. Such appliances require venting.

Cooking ranges, stoves or built in ovens (whether counter top, built in or free standing) are classified as non remotely and non automatically operated. Same applies to gas dryers.

The above may or may not apply in the area in which you reside. Check local codes and comply to them and those of the appliance manufacturers. Doing so will ensure your own safety.

***If and or when you attempt any repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: