...Oven won't stop clicking!

Old 09-12-06, 12:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
...Oven won't stop clicking!

It's been going on for AT LEAST 3 hours! It's annoying, and maybe damaging! How do I stop the ticking?? I can't access a cord o anything, but I can see the thing thats ticking, pilot?

Old 09-12-06, 04:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello sxaxmx and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Chances may be good a slightly cleaning could resolve this type of condition. If turning off the electrical power is not as easy as cord removal, cleaning the electrode can be done using a non metal conductive brush.

Try an old toothbrush. Clean the surfaces of the sparker. Both the sparking element rod and the grounding surface where the spark jumps to. Can be done while power is on.

The spark is powerful but not able to cause injury or death. It's not high enough in amperes to do do so. Just volts equal to house current. With a plastic handle and non metal bristles there is hardly and chances of current getting to the hand.

Of course, by now, time between posting and reading here, sparker likely to have burned out if power was unable to be turned off. Which indicates why power source needs to be local to the appliance and should be to all electrical powered equipment.

If cleaning does not resolve condition, call a licensed and qualified tech. I do not recommend any attempts to repair the appliance with power on. Let a pro do it.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: