Maytag Gemini gas not getting into unit

Old 10-06-06, 06:20 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag Gemini gas not getting into unit

We recently purchased a 3 year old Maytag Gemini gas stove. Everything has been hooked up and plugged in but the stove is not appearing as though any gas is making it into the unit itself. The gas company came out to install it and confirmed there is gas in the line to the stove, but was unsure why there was no gas inside the stove when turned on. We've called Maytag and got no suggestions from them. We've confirmed the gas valve shutoff that is located under the fourth knob is turned to the on position. The electrical part of the unit works fine. You can turn the oven part of, although of course, it doesn't warm up. The knobs also won't turn which is making me feel like some safety lock was triggered by the move? Also, we confirmed the gas regulator is ready to accept natural gas.
Any help would be much appreicated!

Old 10-06-06, 07:57 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Some appliance regulators have an isolation valve lever on them. if it is so equipped it may need to be opened.
One other thought: Does your range have an electronic panel? If yes look for a padlock display. if the padlock shows to be closed push on it for 5 seconds to unlock

Old 10-07-06, 05:27 AM
J
no padlock key or isolation lever

Thank you for your reply. Those are along the lines of things that I've been thinking of also. The key pad does not have any padlock looking key. It does have a control lock option under the control panel. This we've played with and it seems to lock the bake, broil, etc. buttons for the oven features.
We've also taken a look at the regulator to confirm that the maxitrol regulator was in correctly to accept natural gas. In looking at this we did not see any obvious type of lever on or near the regulator. Would we need to look just inside the stove to find the lever? We've checked the documents and it doesn't seem there is anything mentioned about an isolation lever, at least not using that terminology.

Old 10-07-06, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Thinking Outside The Box

Hello jenndewolf and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Possible the stove may be equipped with "Child" proof and/or safety (accidental) proof top burner knobs. Which locks the top burner knobs to prevent accidentally being turned on. (Kid Proof) Adults have to think like a child...

Along the same lines as "Child" proof safety caps on medicine/prescription bottles. Adults have to ask kids to open'em up...

Suggestion: Try this.

Press in-wards and turn on two (2) top burner knobs simultaneously.

Doing so may/likely to release top burned safety locking device. Not all cooking stoves and/or counter installed stove tops have a safety locking feature like this. Yours may or may not.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-07-06, 12:55 PM
J
Are you certain that it is three years old?

I remodeled my kitchen in 2003; I was very interested in the Gemini, but around that time they pulled gas Geminis from the market, because of some gas flow problem.

Old 10-09-06, 04:52 PM
J
knobs won't turn

Hi, We tried to see if the knobs are child-proof. That didn't seem to work. We went to our local Home Depot to see if their knobs turn when not hooked up or plugged in and to see if they had any insight. Their knobs turned freely. So, I am starting to feel the problem has to be linked to the knobs not turning.
Any other suggestions? Anyone heard of the knobs not turning for some reason?

Old 10-09-06, 05:01 PM
J
Just to cover all bases ...

did you push down on the knobs when you tried to turn them? Or pull up on them?

Just in case you hadn't tried ...

Old 10-09-06, 06:33 PM
J
push down on knobs

we've been pushing down on the knobs to try to turn them. When you pull up on them, the knobs come off. I did just go and try to pull up just a bit and turn them. No luck.

Old 10-10-06, 05:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thinking Outside The Box

Hello: Jenn

Possible but not likely, the regulator is locked up.

By this, I am referring to, in some rare instances, the gas pressure is or has gotten too high. Regulator will lock up.

Locked up regulator means no gas passes thought it. Thus, no gas to stove. Any service person worth their salt (daily pay) would/should know that....

What I (We) Need to know:

(Gas Fuel Type)....Natural or Propane???

Any other gas appliances besides this stove???
If yes, what appliance(s). If no, stove only appliance?

Who connected the appliance???..:confusion:

Gas company? Nat or Propane? gas company? Which one???

Confirmed gas in supply pipe? Yes? or No? Which.

Pressure taken at meter? Yes? Or No?
At the propane tank? Yes?or No?
(Nat gas at meter) or supply pipe or tank? for (Propane)

Gas company did not service and/or test and/or check to see why stove did not work????

Really???

Not around this area of gas service territory would such happen. Full service provided. Problem solved or reason for problem told to customer. That's real service!

Suggestion:

Call back gas company and request (demand) they complete the job!
Especially, if you paid for such services!!!...

Another rare but possible cause. Incorrect installation. Appliance regulator installed BACK-WARDS!!!

Yes. Possible. Needs to be verified.

Arrow on regulator MUST be pointing toward intake gas supply pipe of the appliance. Or gas will not flow out of regulator.

Restriction or total blockage of gas some where in the connections of parts between supply pipe and intake gas pipe to stove....intake gas pipe usually but not always called a "Manifold" pipe.

The above is all I can think of at this time.
Kindly provide answers to questions above, if known.
Doing so would help me (us,the others in this topic) help you.

Has to be a logical reason for the above problem, as well as a simple solution, one would surmise.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: