Amana AGS781E Gas Range

Old 10-12-06, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana AGS781E Gas Range

Hi...I'm new to the forum and think this is a great site.

I have an Amana AGS781E natural gas range and have a problem with the broil function. When selecting 'broil', the broil ignitor does not glow at all. My guess is to replace the ignitor. I'm curious about the fact that gas is not admitted to the burner up there....is there a safety feature that prevents gas from being admitted because the ignitor does not fire? How is this done? Is there a way to diagnose a failed ignitor using a multimeter? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

'topgun'

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-06, 07:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello topgun_tb. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If the glow bar igniter is glowing and the burner fails to light, most likely the glowing hot surface igniter is too weak to provide enough of an ignition source. That being the most likely problem cause, replacing the glow igniter will resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface igniter, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

If the igniter fails to glow at all and all other selections and optional selections on the control panel are set correctly, the hot surface igniter will need to be replaced with a new part. Replacing it should solve the problem.

Ovens with touch pad controls use electronic computerized circuit boards. The entire circuit board could be removed and taken to the local appliance parts dealer for testing and or replacement.

Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

For more detailed information etc. read the recent postings within this forum. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

These prior postings and all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed to the many possible problems with an ovens hot surface ignition system.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

***If and or when you attempt any repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own.".

Old 10-13-06, 02:20 AM
The ignitor can be checked with an ohm meter. Disconnect the two wires going to the ignitor and check for continuity. A properly functioning ignitor should read 30 to 50 ohms.

With the sympoms you describe I would suspect the ignitor. Don't be suprised you are not getting gas flow with the ignitor not working. The voltage traveling through the ignitor goes into the oven safety valve and allows the safety to open. If the oven safety is not getting voltage due to a failed ignitor, it will not allow gas through.

Old 10-15-06, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll pull the failed ignitor out and check it's resistance.

Cheers,