Ge Jgs968shss

Old 10-12-06, 09:56 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ge Jgs968shss

Hello all!

I've got a 3yr old JGS968SHSS range that I've used quite a bit and have had an F0 error lately. Often times the F0 error leads to the end of the range working, but mine would reset after a few hours and then work like normal. One day while cooking a turkey, it died...good thing the neighbors were home and didn't mind me using their oven! I have a theory about the error and the failure of the ECU...the ECU/control panel sits right over the door of the oven. I think all the times of leaving the door open to "cool" it off has caused excessive heat to "pound" on the ECU. Heat seems to kill most electronics, so maybe I'll just keep the door closed for now on. While getting the F0 errors, it always happened while cooling the oven off. Hum...just a though...

Since the key pad seems to work all the time, I concluded that the ERC must be the problem. The new one arrived today, but the large sticker on the side says to make sure to reference the control panel and refer to the mini-manual for instructions. While tearing into the ECU area, I found a handy page listing several things about the range, it does not refer to the control panel and the ECU replacement.

Does anybody know how to reference the control panel? Can someone point me in the right direction of learning how or where I can find this info?

Many thanks in advance and Many more thanks for having a site like this with all it's great info!!!

Old 10-13-06, 03:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Photon. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

In the context of repairing, referencing simply means to refer to, according to dictionary. Which leads to a wide generic definition. One of which is consult with and/or seek the advice of professional for consultation. Therefore, by posting your question, you have fur filled that request.

Heat, as well as moisture, are the two key elements that destroy electronic parts. Most likely, the heat produced (by gas or electric) and the moisture made burning a fuel and/or baking, etc, got to the computer/control board.

Likely would have happened regardless of leaving door opened or closed. Simply a matter of product design or lack there of. Happens to almost all products using a fuel to produce heat. Also to appliances like clothes washers and dishwashers. Water and heat once again.

Another factor is insulation from both heat and moisture. Or lack of insulation and/or sufficient insulation. Location of controls also plays a part. But whom would want controls below the appliance? Not many.

So the designers and manufacturers build what is expected, customary, convenient and least costly. Consumers mostly buy appliance eye appeal and price. Not quality. Check the sales statics.

Replace the defective components. Can be identified and done by visual comparison. Be sure electrical power is off. Best if power left off over night to allow stored current to drain off.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-13-06, 10:33 PM
P
Well...since I have "referenced" the control panel by posting on this site, I thought I'd do the install of the new ECU. It took all of 10 min to do, but the results were far from satisfying. Once the power was flicked back on and the ECU did it's "boot" the control panel now displays "Loc rEF". None of the keys seem to work (make noise when pressed). Seems like I need to do some other step to get this thing to work.

I called 2 places today...they said they would have to charge me the $75 service call to figure it out.

I've e-mailed GE, but I'm sure there is at least 5 days between here and India to get an answer.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this control panel working with the ECU? I'd sure hate to do all this work only to have to pay someone to press 2 keys and get the thing working!!!

Old 10-24-06, 05:19 PM
P
Thanks all for the help figuring this out...

With a few beers and some time standing in the kitchen I figured it must be some kind of key combo that needed to be pressed to "reference" the control panel to the new ECU. I'm sure this works on most all stoves by GE and many others as well...press the "8" and the "6" keys together and the time will be displayed (and needs to be set). Once this last step was done the oven works like a champ!

GE service told me they had no idea how to "fix" this and that I needed to call service in....what a scam!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: