gas oven/stove ventilation needed-other gas questions?

Old 10-24-06, 07:04 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas oven/stove ventilation needed-other gas questions?

I have a vintage 1960s gas wall oven with a newer (80s-90s?) gas range. We are considering replacing either the old oven with a wall unit or replacing both with a freestanding unit. Both locations have gas outlets (obviously) and an electic outlet but I imagine the electical outlet isn't designed to fully power a oven , just to run a gas ovens electric. So I can either put in a gas unit or likely run a new wire (via electrician) and install electric. The current oven and stove top, when using them this summer, REALLY heated up my houston kitchen in the summer-I can't stand this again next summer.

1)What is the approx rough cost to run a wire for the oven? 1800sq. ft. ranch style texas house (no basement, easy clear attic access.

2)I have never had a gas unit before but I don't feel these old ones are representative. As mentioned above they REALLY heat up the house. Are modern units this bad? It seems our oven just spews hot hot air... It would seem this coudln't be avoided since the gas fumes have to vent somewhere? Would a vent hood above the gas oven/stove eliminate this problem?

Should I even consider a gas oven? I've read the pros and cons but want some real end user advice...If a new one heats things up like my old oven...
Thanks!!

Old 10-24-06, 08:47 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello wp746911. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Electrical appliances will require an electrical upgrade to 220-240 volts. Not so with gas appliances. New gas appliances will plug right into existing 110 volt outlets. No electrical upgrading required.

New ovens can be vented outside. Vent tubing will be required. Plus any holes needed to be put into cabinet above a built in oven. No so for a free standing range with oven.

All that would be required, for a free standing stove/range with oven, is an over head (above stove/range) exhaust vent.

Either gas or electric produce the same amount of heat. Oven temp is oven temp, regardless of the energy source used.

Venting is not required for Nat gas nor propane in some areas. Does remove the heat, most of it anyway, and nice to have but not necessary. Clean burning gas flames produce carbon dioxides (same as we exhale) and water vapors.

My suggestion: Buy natural gas free standing stove/range. Install appliance where present stove/range or counter cook top is, install over head exhaust vent and be done with it.

Use existing cabinet space,when existing built in oven removed for extra storage space, etc....

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-24-06, 09:59 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank you for the advice! Very knowledgable and useful reply! I like the idea of using the existing gas lines etc instead of wiring electric-does seem somewhat more straightforward.

So are you saying a modern gas oven should only heat up the exterior of the kitchen as much as a regular electric oven? I undertand the interior oven temp will be the same, but will the gas output much more heat to the outside? I guess i envisioned that a gas oven would have to constantly be outputting hot gas to the surroudning kitchen to vent properly?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: