Repair or replace gas drop-in stove

Old 10-26-06, 09:50 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repair or replace gas drop-in stove

-----I bought my 17-year old house last December. At closing the sellers had to replace my dishwasher, garbage disposal, & trash compacter. They supposedly had the stove fixed, & did leave the copy of the bill. However, the broiler has NEVER worked.
-----This summer I was pricing new grates, & hoping to buy a Users manual. (Itís not on-line like many are.) Each grate was over $50.00, & the manual was $72.00. I didnít buy anything. The price was crazy.
----This is a 17 year old, Kenmore (GE), gas range. Itís a stainless steel, drop-In, self-cleaning, bottom exhaust, combo radiant & convection gas range. The control panel is fully electronic, & smooth like the front of a microwave. (I thought it a very up-scale model for itís age!) Even with the broiler not working!!
-----However, on Tuesday, @ 6:00 am I used oven for 3 to 4 min. @ 200 degrees. Turned it off, & went to the other end of my house to shower & get ready for work. Getting out of the shower, I hear my dogs (Yorkies) howling as if in pain. Went to see about them & immediately hear a very LOUD fire alarm (Not the intermittent, change the battery chirp. It was a full on, non-stop alarm.) However, the alarm was coming from my stove. The control panel had an odd set of codes: F2, F4. My stove was cold, nothing worked, & the alarm wouldnít turn off. I couldnít unplug it because itís a drop-in. I couldnít throw the breaker, because my refrigerators on the same line. (To avoid future dilemmas like this, Iím having my fridge, put on a separate bracer!)
-----I called my home warranty company, & unfortunately they didnít call back until 7:30 pm. (I stayed at home with my dogs, barricaded in the master bedroom.) During the day, I looked up the codes, & realized I probably have to have a new control panel. I also think the broiler is burned out. The Maytag auth., repairman called Wednesday morning to setup service. I told him my model number end the control panel #. The repairman said I saved him a trip out to just identify the model & part numbers. (A good thing!!)
----I finally took apart the front unit on Thursday evening Ė just to STOP the noise. I figured I had little to loose, & both the Warranty Company & repairman heard the noise. These are pricey parts, if they can be found. The repair fee will probably be over $350.00! (Covered by HO warranty.)
--------Now for my question: Is it worth putting that much money into a unit this old? Will I be better off insisting on replacement? (Which may cost me about the same.) Is it normal to repair a stove this old? I have never had to replace one; so donít know how long they last. Whatís the rule of thumb on stoves? Maytag comes out Saturday afternoon.
Any input will be GREAT! Sorry this is SOOO long. Anna05

Old 10-26-06, 10:05 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Anna. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

The most confusing aspect here is "WHO?" is paying the bill? Warranty company???? or You??? If they pay, cost is not a factor. if you pay, it is a huge factor. I'm confused. Clarify please.

Your quote:
""The repair fee will probably be over $350.00! (Covered by HO warranty.) Covered by HO warranty. Cost then not a factor. A "fee" you pay, huge factor.

Kindly clarify.

Use the reply button to add the additional information. Using the reply button keeps and/or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and/or keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-26-06, 10:15 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What your home warranty covers is stated in the warranty. If the warranty covers repairs, it may not cover replacement. Read the fine print. The decision may not be yours to make.

To answer your question about a large investment in an old appliance, the answer is that one should not. One would think that the warranty company would think so, too, as they may be spending a lot of money in repairs to the stove. Should the company agree to a replacement, then it will be a good day for you.

Old 10-26-06, 11:16 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moere info....

I guess what I feel so ignorant about, is the average life expectancy of a gas stove. If it were a washer, I would be hoping for a new on, but probably be stuck with a repair. I just have no experience with a dead stove. Electric or gas! Furthermore, before I posted, I asked neighbors, and searched the Net (Iím a widow.) And still couldnít get a feel for this! -------Did I help at all????? Thanks, Anna

Old 10-26-06, 11:35 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Most household appliances have fairly predictable life expectancies. If manufacturers made them to last a lifetime, they would likely go out of business. A gas range typically lasts 17-19 years which is about the same for a single door refrigerator. Dishwashers usually last about 10 years. Gas water heaters 10-12 and electric ones 13-14. These are average life expectancies. Some last longer and some less.

My mother's gas range lasted 30 years and her first refrigerator lasted 20. Her next refrigerator last about 10 years, and she said, "They don't make them like they used to." When the old Maytag wringer washer played out, it was like a death in the family. We quickly got introduced to the local laundry mat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: