Whilpool Dryer doesn't HEAT

Old 10-28-06, 06:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whilpool Dryer doesn't HEAT

I have a Whilpool dryer Modle #LGC7848DQO. I can not get it to ignite. I've replaced the two(2) gas coils and also replaced the igniter. The thermal fuse has checks out OK (Cond test). I'm looking for a solutition. Thankyou.

Old 10-29-06, 04:39 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Arrow More Details & Specific Info Needed

Hello mc.topcat. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Not enough specific details posted to make an accurate diagnosis of the condition. Lots of questions need answers.

Does igniter even glow? Does any burner flame even appear? Answers to questions like these all need to be know prior to any diagnostics.

Kindly provide much more specific details. Also what problem and/or symptom first appeared to indicate a problem had developed.

All of the many possible causes and the solutions are covered in the dryer help sticky note. Reading that and determining what problem(s) apply will also provide the solution.(s)

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, down loadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, replacement and or repairs.

Old 10-29-06, 11:19 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Response to Sharp Advice

Sharp Advice;

Thank you for a quick response. Being my daughter and her two (2) babyís and my oldest son and wife are living here makes a very large pile of clothes that need to be taken care of.

The Igniter does not Glow.
NO Ėburner flame ever appears.

Theyíre no prior systems that gave any warning. It just STOPPED producing any heat.

I first checked the (196 deg. F) Thermal fuse, by seeing if it had continuity. It showed it had continuity!
I also jumped the fuse and it still didnít start the gas cycle.

I jumped so many things that I canít remember what I jumped and what I didnít jump.

I also fried the TIMER switch. When I jump something I welded the ďTimer Switch 1Ē Blue led to the Violet lead. I took the timer apart and broke free the welded contacts.

I am back to were I started ------- Machine turns on and gas does not come on or the surface igniter doesnít glow.

When I purchased the new igniter, the counterman seems to thick it was NOT to common for the igniter to fail. It had a hairline crack and checking it for continuity, I believe will not give me any answers???

Me being a homeowner and not an electrical tech makes me dangerous. The gas coils also failed a continuity test. Me believing a coil is dead if it doesnít show continuity. When I got home from the second trip to the parts supplier. I checked the new coils and they also had NO continuity.

IíM REALLY CONFUSED.

Is it possible that both gas valves are stuck ????

Other than disconnecting the gas valve and putting juice to the coils and blow air through it to see if they are working? Can I direct jump these coils???

I hope I gave you enough Info. Once again THANK YOU

Old 10-29-06, 07:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: mc.topcat

Hum mm. Fired T-Stat? Lets ass-ume T-Stat is ok. Lets ass-mue coils and gas valve are ok too. All other parts mentioned ok as well.

Now we can check for continuity of the flame sensor. Located on the burner shroud, usually right hand side. Shroud is the funnel tube burner flame is in. On top to right side is the flame sensor.

Wires of quick disconnect can be removed. Use ohm meter and test for continuity. Need should swing to right side. Ohm value not so important. What is, is having continuity, IMO.

No continuity at flame sensor, part defective. Replace it. At this point, based upon what was already done and still possible T-Stat fried or was defective initially, becomes very difficult to diagnose exactly what part(s) may be the direct cause.

T-Stat may appear to operate correctly but not be. Part is not inexpensive. But may be defective and/or have been the culprit all along. Cannot be sure now based upon shorting out wires. Contacts also very delicate. Any attempt to repair usually fail.

I may not know for sure actual problem or defective part(s) and therefore not as likely to offer accurate helpful advice. Nor do I want you to spend money needlessly on parts not needed. May have to contact service/repair agent in your local area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: