LP Gas cooktop to LP 20lb tank

Old 11-01-06, 07:52 AM
V
vlh
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LP Gas cooktop to LP 20lb tank

I do alot of canning etc and have an electric flattop stove. I'm looking at buying a gas cooktop (install on patio in a kitchen cabinet). I'm looking at cooktops that have the lp conversion kits included. My only question is can this just hook up to a regular 20lb lp tank that you would get for a bbq grill?

Angela

Old 11-01-06, 03:56 PM
H
Can it be done? Absolutely! There are some steps for it to be done safely.

If this is an outdoor patio, there should be little issues with having the 20# tank hooked up directly. If it's an indoor or enclosed patio then I would keep the tank outdoors and run as gas line to the cooktop.

Regardless of which it is, one thing you will need is a regulator on the tank suitible to step the pressure down to working pressue (10 -13 inches water column. It is dangerous to pipe a tank directly into an appliance.

Old 11-01-06, 04:15 PM
V
vlh
But doesn't most cooktops come with regulators that you have to switch from natural gas to lp, or do I need an additional one? the tank would be kept on the patio with the unit, not indoors.

Old 11-02-06, 06:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Welcome Angela to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The supply tank needs a pressure regulator, as Hank mentioned. Tank regulator will be or should be pre-installed on the tank.

The appliance also needs it's own regulator. Appliance regulator you will likely need to install. If appliance regulator is all ready pre-installed on cook top, that part will either have to be converted or replaced with an LP only regulator.

Questions to you are:
Why not buy the appliance already pre-setup to use LP gas?

Pre-setup for LP cook tops not available in your area?

Logic is and confusion may be based upon what you stated. You said you are going to buy an appliance not already have an appliance or already bought the appliance.

Suggestion would be to buy the new appliance already factory pre-setup for the intended fuel to be used. If you already have a cook top that is not pre-setup, visit any local appliance store and get the right conversion parts.

By The Way:
I am not a propane appliance >connection< tech. However, regardless of fuel types, appliances should operate the same as if fuel where natural gas.

FYI:
I too already have same type setup. Cook top directly connected to LP tank. BBQ also directly connected to the same LP tank. (Two appliances both connected to same LP tank)

Repeat: (For Clarification, if needed)
Cook top and separate BBQ both connected to LP tank >without< a tank regulator.
Only the appliances have regulators. Unless my state pressurizes tanks differently, why a tank reg is needed is not known. Pressure same in 5 pound bottle as it is in 20 pound bottle??? Or is there a difference??? RV 20 gal tank different then any other portable hand carry tank???...confusion...????????????????

Why a need for a tank regulator is unknown to me. Both cook top and separate BBQ operate perfectly. Just as they would if installed in the RV...

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-02-06, 06:54 AM
V
vlh
Can you tell I've never had to worry about this, lol.

I live in Florida so natural gas/lp isn't as common as it is up north.

I'm looking at cooktops on ebay that come with the lp conversion kits as well as at home depot/lowes that also have the lp conversion kits included.

So if I understand it right. If the cooktop doesn't have a regulator I need to buy one for the appliance for LP or convert an existing if it has it.

I have not bought it yet, I'm researching this option versus bayou classic patio stoves but I would like something nicer than this on my pool deck.

Are all the connections from the lp tank to the newer cooktops the same or will I have to do some matching up on it?

Old 11-02-06, 02:56 PM
H
The cooktop should come with a convertable regulator, meaning it can be adjusted for use with natural gas or LP (propane) gas. Additionally, the cooktop burner orfices will likely need to be converted for use with propane.

The differences between natural gas and propane is natural gas is used at approx half the pressure of propane but twice the volume.

I'll try my best to answer your question Sharp, regarding the need of a secondary regulator. In most places it's against code to have more than five psi of gas (LP or natural) into a structure hence the reason there is a regulator on the tank. Addtionally, tank pressure is not constant as propane liquid expands rapidly when heated.

Secondly, according to the National Fuel Code (NFPA 54), any appliance not having a 100% safety (gas control valve) on it is required to have an appliance regulator to further stabilize the flow. Gas appliances with a 100% safety such as water heaters or furnaces do no require it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: