Cooktop burner will not stay lit.

Old 11-07-06, 05:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cooktop burner will not stay lit.

I have a four-burner Magic Chef propane cooktop. I noticed that the flame on the most frequently used burner (front right) was not as high as the other burners, or as high as it used to be. I removed the burner top, and removed the brass gas nozzle. I carefully cleaned it and reinstalled. The high flame is better now.

However, when the burner is on the lowest flame setting, it will not stay lit. There is an adjusting screw inside the stem of the control knob shaft. It only seems to affect the low flame setting. On the other burners, I previously used this adjustment to prevent the burners from being blown out when the exhaust hood fan is on. However, when turned full "on" on the front right burn, this adjustment does not result in the burner staying on at its lowest setting.

Is there a possibility that the control valve itself needs cleaning? The other burners work fine.

Old 11-07-06, 07:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Tech Trick

Hello RMCA. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Based upon what the problem description describes to me is a simmer flame does not always stay lighted. Common problem and one that can often be difficult to resolve, even for a service appliance tech.

Often time the burner valve core is to fault. The tiny hole in it becomes clogged with a very small piece of debris. That hole is smaller in diameter then a piece of human hair.

Hole has to be cleared out. Not an easy task for even a service tech. Nor would I advise you to attempt to disassemble the valve and attempt to clear the tiny hole.

Same applies to the tiny adjustment set screw in the gas valve. What may work is to turn off the gas at the valve behind the stove.

That open two burner valves. The effected one and not effected. Remove effected burner. Attach a rubber hose to orifice. Hose must fit snuggly.

Then blow into hose while rotating the effected valve. Again when valve is in the simmer flame setting. Might get lucky and dislodge debris without having to replace valve and/or attempt to disassemble valve. Trick sometimes works for a pro. Might do so for you too, hopefully.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

***If and or when you attempt any repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-08-06, 06:49 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try blowing back through the burner and control using your procedure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: