Roper Gas Range ERC??

Old 11-08-06, 02:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roper Gas Range ERC??

Not getting any GAS to oven? I have a Roper Gas Range in a rental house, its about a 2001 or 2002, Model FGP337KWO, the oven will not work. The electronic ignitor gets red Hot but no Gas. I was told its the (ERC) Electronic Range Control. Where is this control? Is it the unit on back where the gas lines go in and out of? Or is it on the Ignitior? Can someone post a Picture of One so I will know exactly what it looks like? Will I need to replace the Ignitor so the oven will get Gas to it? I appreciate your advice and help. Jwalker4.

Last edited by Jwalker4; 11-08-06 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-09-06, 08:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello Jwalker4 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Defective part(s) may or may not be the (ERC) Electronic Range Control. That part is an electronic circuit board located behind the front (usually glass) control panel.

Try this first. Turn oven "ON." When (HSI) Hot Surface Igniter is glowing as bright as it can, use back end of a medium sized screw drive and gently rap the gas gas valve.

Gas valve is the part the burners extension tube sits on. Burner may light up or may not. If burner lights up, gas valve likely to be defective or HSI defective. Replace HSI as a first attempt to fix problem.

If burner does not light up, rap again slightly harder. Burner lights up, gas valve may be sticking shut or HSI too weak, not glowing as HOT as it should be. May visually appear to be glowing HOT and or glowing HOT enough but not in reality. Replace HSI.

After new HSI installed, burner still does not light up, defective gas valve. Replace it. All this is a process of testing and an elimination of possible causes using the easiest methods and least expensive possible parts first. ERC's are expensive!

Rare but possible causes for no gas to burner may also be:
GAS TURNED OFF!
To the entire appliance. Supply valve behind oven.
Oven burner isolation valve turned OFF!
At oven isolation valve. Tiny valve on gas supply tube going into gas control valve, which supplies gas to burner.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-09-06, 11:16 AM
J
Sharp Advice
Thanks for your advice. I just want to make sure of what I am doing before I do it. This is a Gas Range, the Burners are working properly on top of the unit, again the Oven is not working. As I read your advice, You state turn the Oven ON, with the Igniter getting RED Hot use a tool and tap on the gas valve, this is inside the oven, Right? So my head is going to be inside a gas oven with the Igniter Glowing Bright Red and I will tap on the back of the Burner Tube??You said when I tap on it and it lights up (I hope that is all that Lights Up), the gas valve is Likely to be defective. Where exactly is this gas valve? Is it on the Burner Tube or Is in the box on the back of the oven where the gas lines go in and out of? Dose the HSI actually have gas in it where a valve opens when it gets to the correct temptiture? Or dose it send an electronic signal back to the gas valve (wherever that is located).
-I pulled the burner tube out the other day and unpluged the Igniter and to me the burner tube seems to just kind of sit there in what I call a socket, is that where the Gas Valve is?
-I mechanical and a handy man, but working with Gas and my head being in an oven tapping on a valve while the Igniter is red hot kinda scares me.
Thanks
Jwalker4

Old 11-09-06, 01:59 PM
J
Sharp Advice, I went and put a meter on the Igniter, it read 2.76 should read 3.3 - 3.6 so I went and bought a new Igniter $48.00 tax and all. Installed it and it works great. It did not take no time at all to pull it off and install the new one. I saved the normal $60.00 service call and did the job myself. Thanks for all of your advice! This is a Great web forum! JWalker4

Old 11-10-06, 09:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Another Happy Camper Story...Success!

HI: Jwalker4

YEP! That easy to fix!

And done without sticking head into oven too....

When tapping on gas valve was suggested, that is done at arms length and not with head inside oven...Ha Ha. Sorry if my statement mislead ya. Not intended to.

Glad you got the oven working yourself. Any other members whom are reading this thread can do it too. It is just about as easy as Mr. Walker stated it is.

You can do it too!

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: