Installing a Gas Cooktop

Old 11-10-06, 08:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a Gas Cooktop

I am replacing an old gas cooktop that sits directly on the countertop. The new cooktop is a GE JGP328WEKWW 30 inch.

My problem is that the installation instructions require 3 inches space to the left side of the cutout. There doesn't appear to be anything on the left side. Does anyone know what the 3 inches is for? I only have 1 inch on the left.

I am guessing it is for ventilation? If so, I do have the ability to make large ventilation holes in the cabinetry to the left side, which adjoins to the dishwasher. This should allow for plenty of ventilation.

If it is for fire safety reasons, other than ventilation, I think I'm in trouble. I can't find anything in the installation instructions indicating the reason for the 3-inch space.

Does anyone have a clue about this? Thank you!!

Old 11-10-06, 08:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello tjay2111. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Chances are to prevent heat radiation from the burner flames under a pot or pan, when burner set to highest flame sizes, from burning nearby surfaces.

There needs to be clearance all around the cook top. To the left is a most commonly limited space area. So instructions usually state to the left side. Usually plenty of space to the back side and front never a problem with limited space.

Only suggestion is to use a heat shield like a hot plate with heat resistance material on that side when using high flame settings or simply use only small pots that do not need a large flame size to boil or cook with.

Best info I could possible suggest. I also have the very same problem in kitchen......very limited space to the left side also....

Old 11-10-06, 08:57 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK...maybe I am misunderstanding the drawings!

I actually have lots of space to the left on TOP of the counter...the problem is I don't have three inches of space UNDERNEATH.

If this diagram is referring to the space above the counter, I must be OK.

Old 11-10-06, 09:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: TJ

I misunderstood you. Based upon what you stated ("My problem is that the installation instructions require 3 inches space to the left side of the cutout.") and as I read it, to the left side implies above and not below.

Heat does not apply to beneath. None going to be there. Burners on a cook top are above the counter top and heat rises.

How to resolve that issue, below space issue, I am not sure. Likely to have to improvise a solution like the installers have to do. Very likely a non issue anyway.

Install cook top. Use it and take note of any heat which may be present. Not likely to be any below counter top or not sufficient to be of any concerns. Trail and error may apply.

About all the info I can provide. I am not and never was an installer of gas appliances. Maybe another member likely to offer suggestions. Check back several more time for next few days. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: