oven won't maintain temperature

Old 11-11-06, 10:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question oven won't maintain temperature

I have a Hotpoint gas range (RGB746HED3CT) which is between 4 and 5 years old. When I first turn the oven on, it seems to preheat as it should but it doesn't maintain the temperature after the initial heating. I've tried to watch and understand what it's actually doing. At times, the ignitor glows for a few seconds but the burner never lights. Maybe 10-15 seconds later, the ignitor glows again but the burner never lights. It seems to just continue this cycle. But if I turn the oven control to off and turn it back to the proper temperature, the oven will heat again. Another time I saw that each time the ignitor would glow, after a few seconds the burner would light, burn for maybe 2-3 seconds and then go out. This sequence would just continue over and over every 10-15 seconds. Again, if I turn the control to off and back on again, the oven heats correctly. The oven temperature is controlled by a dial which is on an electronic panel...there are no error codes displayed. Any ideas concerning the problem would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by Tami77; 11-12-06 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-12-06, 09:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Replace The HSI

Hello Tami77 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Problem condition indicates a weak Hot Surface Igniter (HSI). Replace that part first. Doing so is a first line attempt to resolving the problem. Very likely to fix or correct the problem/condition. All instructions can be found in the sticky note in this forums topic.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-13-06, 09:27 AM
D
Hope you get an answer

I have a Hotpoint RGB746HED 2WH purchased January 2002 With the exact same problem.Could it be a manufacturing defect? I have called appliance repair service who suggest problem is in the clock control system.GE quotes part WB27K10047 at $155.Available else where on the web between $107. and $126.plus shipping.Been told this is not a do it yourself project.

Old 11-14-06, 05:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: DanM123

Not very likely any mfg defects or they would have shown up years ago when appliance was newer. More likely to be a weak HSI. Replace it first, as a first attempt repair. The glow igniter's do wear out. Replacement likely to correct the condition.

Granted, problem can be caused by another part. Possible the electronic control board. But I do not suggest replacing that part first. Far more expensive then a new HSI. And may not even correct the problem. Replace the HSI first.

Old 11-14-06, 12:50 PM
D
Just had the igniter replaced.Seems to be working fine,maintains temperature correctly.Check your igniter when you turn your oven on.If it doesn't ignite Between 20 and 40 seconds after beginning to glow it needs replacing.Mine didn't ignite within 60 seconds.That was the tell-tale sign.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: