Tappan gas range troubles

Old 11-14-06, 07:16 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tappan gas range troubles

I have a problem with my Tappan Model #30-3979-23/04 gas range. My wife has been living with it for a while and is getting a little tired of dealing with it. The problem seems to be with the quantity of gas that it is letting into the appliance. The top burners work fine until the oven is turned on. Once the oven is on and heating, the top burners will get really low or even go out entirely. If you attempt to relight them the sprak ignitor clicks in, but there is not sufficient gas to light. My wife is threatening to buy a new range and I am hoping not to have to go to this extreme. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-15-06, 02:30 AM
H
There are things I would have checked before throwing in the towel and buying a new range.

The problem sounds as though you are not getting enough gas pressure or volume to the range. It could be problems with regulators or line size.

Some more information is needed so I could help narrow down the problem:

Is it natural gas or propane you burn?
What size gas line is supplying the range?
Are there any other gas appliances?
If there are any other gas appliances, do they exhibit similar behavior?
Is this a new problem or has it been a problem since you bought this range?

Old 11-15-06, 05:21 AM
S
Tappan gas range troubles

Thank you for the response hankhill6018.

In answer to your request for more information:

The range is natural gas.

The gas line size is 3/4 inch.

My other gas appliances are, a hot water heater and a forced air furnace.

To the best of my knowledge neither of these exhibit similar behavior.

We have owned the range in this same house for fourteen years and the behavior is only recently.

Just so that you are not confused, the behavior occurs even in the warm weather when the furnace is not running, and I am confident that the hot water tank was not heating every time that this happens either.

Thanks again for any advice that you can offer.

Old 11-15-06, 06:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello skunk915. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Based upon the problem description in both your posts, I agree with Hank. Problem appears to be related to the appliances pressure regulator.

Very likely the breather vent is plugged and/or restricted. Based upon appliances age and an unknown type/style of regulator on that specific appliance, attempting a repair be cleaning out the vent hole may not be wise.

Best bet, replace that regulator with a new one. One has to be semi handy with tools and careful not to strip threads but it can be done as a do it yourself project.

Be sure to note arrow direction on existing regulator and new regulator prior to installing new part. It does make a difference and has to be right first time around or will have to be done all over again if installed incorrectly first time.

Use light weight oil on threads of pipe when installing new regulator.

CAUTIONARY NOTE:
*DO NOT* over tighten new regulator on to inlet gas pipe of the appliance. Doing so will crack the regulator housing!

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: