Tappan propane stove problems

Old 11-24-06, 08:40 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tappan propane stove problems

I purchased a tappan gas range from Sears last year. It is sealed burner with no place to adjust flames anywhere. The stove has never worked right since new. The button for lp/nat gas is positioned properly for propane use. No kit came with stove and none was available. THe flames are too big and have too much black soot(Iguess too much Oxygen) THere seems to be no way to adjust anything. I have had a few different dependable people look for a fix and none can be found. I have never been able to use the oven. Flames would come out of it if I did.

Old 11-24-06, 10:16 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gypsydrumhorse. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Likely to be compound problems.

Stove never really converted to propane. Nor originally set up to burn propane. May still have Nat gas orifices. Thus, even with regulator in LP position, too much gas is flowing through burner orifices.

Another possible but rare possibility, is a lack of air flow. Soot can be caused by a lack of air. Appliance has intake air vents around it somewhere, which may be restricted by tight spaces, etc.

Too much fuel and/or wrong type of fuel, etc.

Specifically what type of fuel are you using? Propane only assumed. Clarify by stating which fuel used.

Also, if not other appliances effected and there are other appliances, condition limited to stove only. Which may indicate improper set up and/or defective appliance regulator and/or inlet gas supply pressure from propane source, etc.

All difficult circumstances to diagnose possible problems without properly detailed and specific info. Provide more details so we can help you further.

*Side issue. Why has the appliance gone so long since purchased operating in such a condition? Warranty would have covered proper and safe operations and installations.*

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-25-06, 05:08 AM
H
As Sharp said, it sounds like you are using propane with the burners set up for natural gas.

In efforts to try to steer you to the right direction, pick up one of the burner caps and look down the center hole. Is there a small brass piece inside the hole? If there is, this is the burner orifice. It will have to be replaced with the proper size for the specific burner.

The oven will have a brass orifice that needs to be tightened. It's usually at the base of the oven burner inlet near the air adjustment.

Please reply back whether or not you see the top burner orifices. If you do, there has to be a conversion kit available. If you don't see the brass pieces there, they may be able to be converted off the burner valves.

Also, if possible, provide the model of the range.

Old 04-14-08, 06:56 PM
B
No adjustments

Same thing almost. My oven seems to work. The four burners up top cannot be adjusted properly. The directions that come with the stove say there is an adjustment under each of the knobs. I imagine that at one time there were. The valves were probably tapped with an adjustment screw. An efficiency expert must have decided to do away with that minor adjustment on their least expensive stoves, screw the customer. Heck, they can't afford better they probably don't know how to complain. So, a reasonably intelligent person I tried various things, tightening the threaded brass outlet port, loosening it, bending the aluminum tube trying to allow more air to mix (needs more air), even tried bending the little tabs on the burner top -- nothing works. If they offer a set of burners from a more expensive model with all the correct adjustments I'd pay. So, let's see, who makes this stove? It's manufactured by a major appliance company but I can't find a reference to which.

BillTJ

Old 11-13-13, 07:04 PM
A
propane stove, black soot on pots, orange/yellow flame

My problem sounds similar......and I can't find a model Number, but the manual says its from Premier Range in USA (I'm in Canada) The owner purchased stove new from PremierRange 3 yrs ago. He says it arrived set up for propane, we just bought his cabin, and I've noticed the kettle he left had black soot all over the bottom. Don't think he used stove much (used BBQ)

We tried following directions in book, but they appear to be for another model, as it doesn't look like our stove. Can't find Model No. or Serial No or Dealer's name, just Premier Range. He might have said he wanted a propane stove, but I doubt it was converted from Natural Gas setting........and we haven't been able to figure it out, altho in the book, it certainly looks easy enough, if only our parts were the same.

Our cabin is in a remote area, difficult to get servicemen out here.

Annie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: