Dryer Vent

Old 12-08-06, 08:23 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dryer Vent

My dryer is on the first floor (slab), the vent pipe goes through the wall between the house and attached garage into the attic of the garage then across the garage to the outside. Now that it's getting cold out, I'm getting a lot of condensation coming out the vent. My question is what is the proper way to insulate the vent pipe to keep moisture to a minimum? I also get ice dams in the gutters from running the dryer in the winter. Or at least I think that is what's causing the ice dams...

Thanks!
Mike C

Old 12-09-06, 07:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Mike C. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Insulating the vent ducting will not likely resolve the problem. Problem more likely to be two fold. Vent to long with an excessive rise. The distance and rise allows prior and present moisture, being removed from the drying process, to collect in the lowest section of the venting duct.

Which is far more noticeable in colder months then in warmer months. Solution would be to shorten vent distance as much as possible and reduce or eliminate the rise crossover section. Shorter venting will decrease drying times also. Chart and link below:

Maximum Exhaust Vent Lengths:
4 Inch Rigid Metal Ducting with 4 Inch Vent Hood.
#of elbows:
0 elbows...44 feet
1 elbow....34 feet
2 elbows..26 feet
3 elbows..20 feet

Above With 2 Inch Vent Hood:
0 elbows...34 feet
1 elbow....26 feet
2 elbows..20 feet
3 elbows..14 feet

Maximum Exhaust Vent Lengths:
4 Inch Flexible Metal Ducting with 4 Inch Vent Hood.
0 elbows...24 feet
1 elbow....20 feet
2 elbows..16 feet
3 elbows..12 feet

Above With 2 Inch Vent Hood:
0 elbows...20 feet
1 elbow....16 feet
2 elbows..12 feet
3 elbows....8 feet

Dryer help sticky note in the forum topic or here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always advisable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, to add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: