Storage of BBQ Grill Propane Tank for Winter

Old 12-10-06, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Storage of BBQ Grill Propane Tank for Winter

I hope this the appropriate forum for this thread.

We bought a propane gas outdoor BBQ grill this summer. Winter is upon us and I wasn't sure what I should do with the propane tank (which is still pretty full). Do I leave it outdoors (Michigan winters can get very cold at times)?

Currently, the propane tank is disconnected from the grill and stored underneath the grill with a full thick cover over the entire thing. The entire unit is outdoors on our deck. Is that good enough?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-06, 11:42 AM
H
That should be fine. Nothing will happen to the propane in the tank as long as the tank is leak free.

It is not recommended to store the tank in the garage/basement or any part of a house. The pressure buildup in the tank could cause the pressure relief valve to blow off.

Old 12-10-06, 03:25 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Your not going to use your grill this winter?

Old 12-11-06, 02:52 PM
M
Cool

LP is usually very cold in the tank and thus can withstand winter outdoors very well.
One thing you may want to do is to disconnect the rubber fuel line from the grill and the tank and store the line inside. Working in a hardware store for 15 years, I have seen many a homeowner come in with a fuel line that was chewed thru by hungry squirrels during the winter. Apparently they like the grease that sometimes drips onto the line.

Old 12-11-06, 04:07 PM
S
The reason squirrels chew up propane lines is because propane tastes "sweet" to them.The way to eliminate this is to light your grill and turn off the fuel supply at the tank thereby burning off all fuel in the lines.When the grill goes out by itself then turn off the grill controls.This should be done whenever you use your grill.There is also a guard made to protect the lines that looks like a spring but depending on where you are can be hard to find.

Not to rain on any parades but I've been in the hardware business 30 years and have sold,delivered and set up Weber grills for many years.This information comes from Weber reps themselves.