Igniter on gas stove keeps firing!

Old 12-16-06, 06:57 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Igniter on gas stove keeps firing!

whenever I turn on one of my burners on my Kenmore gas stove, the igniter of one of the other burners keeps igniting. sometimes it goes away if increase/decrease the one burner that is on, but not always, so the igniter keeps firing! any idea why and how it can be fixed? This is a brand new oven which was installed after a year of sitting around.

Thank you.

Old 12-17-06, 07:45 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello switchex and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Spark igniter's react to heat from the burner flame. When heated, the electrical resistance increases, is sensed by the spark module and the sparking stops.

Using the above info, try cleaning the sparker's using an old tooth brush. Use caution not to damage rod or change it's existing angle, etc. If only one sparker continues to spark, that one may be defective. Try cleaning first, before replacing.

Be sure the burner flames impinge the sparker at all burners. Fact that flame adjustment some times effects the stopping of the sparking may indicate burner flames not properly heating the sparker's element rod.

Be sure all burner head slots, holes and/or ports are cleaned evenly and completely around entire burner head, especially where flames impinge sparker element rod.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

"Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs."

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: