Viking oven door hinge broke - can I fix myself

Old 12-27-06, 05:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Viking oven door hinge broke - can I fix myself

The oven door on my 8 year old Viking VGSC305-4BSS, 30" wide range stopped working 6 months ago. The door can only open half way so my wife can only bake small things. We had to buy a cooked turkey for thanksgiving since it wouldn't fit thru the half opened door. I'm wondering if this is something I can tackle myself. I'm ok with tools but not real proficient. And when I try sliding the stove out it was surprising heavy. I've read about how weak Viking is when it comes to customer service and is weary about calling them for help. Seems like a huge undertaking to take the thing apart and see what is wrong with the hinge. Appreciate any help on this.

Old 12-28-06, 07:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Steve and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to my Gas Appliances topic.

I'm not all that familiar with the brand personally. However, suggest you look for removable inside left and right oven panels. The removable panels might be located inside the broiler section beneath the oven compartment.

Some ranges have a lower outside removable decorative panel. These models have the 4 legs, while others set directly on the floor. Access to oven door brackets will vary. Check with a local appliance parts store for a service manual and also ask counter attendant for a printed exploded view of the parts. Often shows how to access the parts.

Check back. Several members also provide very good helpful advice in the topic.

Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-29-06, 06:03 AM
H
Steveomak - Viking hinge

Steve if this is the hinge I think it is it should be front removable. In other words once you remove the door, and loosen the two hinge mounting screws you should be able to pull the hinge through the front of the unit without disassembling anything else. Hope that helps.

Old 12-29-06, 06:23 PM
Viking

Steve,
If the help from hingemac and Sharp advice do not pan out, call Viking.
I too have a Viking range and yes they ARE heavy. their service department when I have had to deal with them (3 times) have been great in spite of what you have read.

Mark_ms

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: