Kenmore Gas Range - lighting problems

Old 01-02-07, 11:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Gas Range - lighting problems

Hey All:

I think this may be an easy diagnosis, but probably an expensive one too.

Kenmore Gas Range (Model 665.75842001)

Intermittent lighting problems with both the left two burners and the oven baking. Problems happen about 15-20% of the time and the oven has stopped even while on. I don't have any problems with the right burners.

Is there a possibility it's the lighting mechanism; I can hear the spark on the stovetop, but not sure if this model has a glow plug in the oven. I'm holding off the home warranty folks to see if it's worth it. Parts prices would be especially helpful.

Thanks in advance -

Old 01-03-07, 06:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello 3ringcircus and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to my Gas Appliances topic.

Spark ignition for the top burners not usually combined with the oven ignition system. Two independent systems.

If the oven does not work or stops during operation, verify it's ignition system. Very likely oven has a hot surface (HSI) glow igniter. If oven does have this type of ignition system, replace the glow igniter.

If only one side of the top burners operate, and the sparker's are sparking, first check the ignition ports or holes on the side that does not light. Ignition ports or holes, if equipped with them likely to be plugged up or restricted with prior spill over materials. Clear the ports or holes with a pin but do not enlarge them. Same would apply to burner head holes or slots.

Retail parts dealers, sears service centers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites.http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: