Tappen gas range oven temp

Old 01-04-07, 07:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tappen gas range oven temp

I have a tappen gas range ( older one) and when I light the oven and put temp on 350* it will turn the burners off at 160*, if I turn up the dial to 500* it will get to 350* and past. Is there an ajustment that can be made to get it to operate right? I have an oven thermometer and I guess I could turn it up until the burners go off at the temp that I want and do it that way. Thanks for any help Barb

Old 01-04-07, 08:09 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello barb702. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Temperature variations that far between setting temp and actual temp usually indicates a defective thermostat. A condition which develops slower over time. With each usage temps vary. Most often increasing above set temp but some times lower, as described.

If there isn't any heat restriction, like aluminum foil usage, etc within the oven and the condition did not suddenly appear but rather develops over time, you may contact the local gas supplier and inquire about an oven thermostat recalibration.

Some gas suppliers provide this service free while others for a fee or not at all. Ask your supplier. An oven thermostat calibration not likely to correct the current condition, so don't get hopes up. Temp differences can only be 50 degrees higher or lower. Any further out of range them set temp, thermostat needs to be replaced.

Oven thermostats can be calibrated but this service is best left to the professionals. Check the heat sensing element suspended in the ovens baking compartment. Must be secured in place or it will be a rod probe extending into the baking compartment.

The probe is the element rod that is at the top of the oven inside the baking compartment, that is the temperature sensing element. The temperature sensing element is attached (integral part) to the thermostat.

In order to replace the sensing element, which has to be done to control oven temperature, the entire thermostat must be replaced. The thermostat has to be the rotating dial type not the digital touch pad type.

If the thermostat needs a recalibration, this is NOT a do-it-yourself project.

Special tools, training, practice, procedure and experience are needed along with the proper technique and adjustments made in the correct sequence in order to successfully accomplish the task. Done incorrectly, as a do-it-yourself task, can ruin an otherwise good thermostat that only needed an adjustment...

Help Link:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Site Links: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: