New ignitor too short, Caloric wall oven

Old 01-11-07, 03:55 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New ignitor too short, Caloric wall oven

I removed the neighbor's ignitor with no trouble, guessing it's out of spec. Neighbor saw an appliance repair guy driving on the street and he sold her a new ignitor. The business end looks fine but the old one has a ceramic rear end about 6" long and the new one is only about 1-1/2" long. The appliance guy said it was OK to leave wires hanging in the oven.

But if I do that, there's going to be a hole about two inches square where the old ignitor went thru the back wall of the oven. That does not seem right to me because it would allow heated air to get in the wiring space between the oven interior and the exterior shell, which is full of fiberglass insulation.

What should I do?

Last edited by ArgMeMatey; 01-11-07 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Add detail
Old 01-12-07, 08:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello ArgMeMatey. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

I am an advocate for using OEM parts. My suggestion and recommendation would be to replace the old igniter with an original manufacturers part. Especially if the service person whom sold neighbor the part did not install it.

Not all igniter's are equal in electrical resistance values. An OEM part would insure having the correct part and it being installed correctly. Igniter placement next to burner ignition holes/slots and/or ports is also critical to ensure burner gas ignition.

Cannot say the present replacement part sold to neighbor is in fact the correct one, would work properly, nor do so over an extended period of time, etc.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can be sure the part is correct or can be used in the manner described. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and the original igintier. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: