Maytag Performa Gas Dryer doesn't work

Old 01-14-07, 11:25 AM
U
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maytag Performa Gas Dryer doesn't work

Hi all-

We have a 5 year old Maytag Performa Gas Dryer. We were drying a load of clothes and the dryer simply quit mid load. The clothes were partially dry. When we tried to push the knob to start the dryer, nothing happens. The dryer will not start at all. I checked its electrical circuit and it has electrical power at the plug. Any advice as to where I should start?

Thanks,
ualdriver

Old 01-15-07, 07:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello ualdriver and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

Several possibilities likely to cause the described condition. If the entire machine does not operate, meaning the drum does not rotate, first and easiest part to check is the door safety switch.

Try this. With nothing inside the drum, open the door, fully depress in the door safety button and start the dryer. If the dryer starts and the drum rotates, the door safety is not being fully closed. Adjust and or repair door brackets as needed to ensure door is tightly closed.

If the drum still does not rotate trying the above, the belt may be broken. Belt replacement required. A broken belt will cause entire machine to not operate.

Be sure to make a hand drawing of how belt loops over and under each pulley before removing the belt. Doing so will make reassembly much easier and faster.

Motor may have overheated or burned out. If the dryer restarted after allowing a long cool down time, motor overheating occurred. If the dryer will not restart at all, motor likely burned out. Replacement required.

Dryer help here: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Safety Reminder: Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-15-07, 11:10 AM
U

OK thanks I'll check all of those items out.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-15-07 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Removed Quote In Reply
Old 01-16-07, 09:50 AM
U
I ended up calling a repairman as I was out of town to troubleshoot, and he replaced the thermal fuse. Unfortunately, he just replaced the fuse and did not look for an underlying cause that would have caused the fuse to do its job in the first place. What normally causes those fuses to fail? Do they tend to fail with age, as the dryer is about 4 or 5 years old?

Thanks,
ualdriver

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: