Question on Flame Sensor in gas dryer

Old 01-16-07, 03:58 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on Flame Sensor in gas dryer

Hi,

I've been having intermittent problems with my dryer for some time now. A while back (~1 year ago) I found that the flame sensor had gone bad, so I installed a new one. This seemed to fix the problem. However, a few months on the intermittent problem came back again (symptom: the dryer would usually run one cycle, but rarely a second cycle; I'd usually have to wait a while--I usually tried after a day or two--until I could use the dryer again.) Anyway, I'm almost ready to give up on the dryer, but I decided to check the electrical connections again (I had been focusing on the motor) and found that the resistance across my "new" flame sensor is 0-ohms. Does anyone know if this is correct, or has the sensor gone bad again? Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks much.

MQ in Burtonsville

Old 01-17-07, 07:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Burtonsville and Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

Possible the venting system is restricted. A restricted exhaust vent will over heat the machine, causing it to shut down. Check the venting system first.

Remove the exhaust vent from the dryer and run the dryer with a normal size load of clothes and or towels. Not the results. If the condition no longer exists, vent is restricted. Clear and/or it or replace it.

If the condition remains, possible the solenoids on top of the gas valve are heating up to much and dropping out. Replace them. Not expensive nor all that difficult to do.

Additional help can be found in the dryer sticky note in this topic.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Read the existing questions on the subject of dryers. Doing so will more quickly provide you with answers to questions & provide additional information on how to resolve dryer problems.

Old 01-17-07, 04:34 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Sharp Advice,

Thanks for the help! Previously, I ran a shop-vac in reverse to clear out any build-up and noted the air seemed to be free flowing thru the exhaust. However, I wasn't aware of the solenoid as a possible culprit. I'll check the specs and see if I note anything unusual.

Thanks again.

Burtonsville

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: