Running small range on 20# cylinder

Old 01-25-07, 07:18 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running small range on 20# cylinder

I have a rental unit with an apartment-sized gas range. The range was originally connected to a pair of (100#?) LP gas tanks with a selector valve and regulator -- a standard arrangement that I've seen in many places throughout this area (upstate New York). At some point in the past, the tanks, regulator, and valve were removed. The tenant at the time got a 20# LP cylinder and regulator and connected them to the gas line for the range.

I don't think he or the next tenant used the range a lot, but the current tenant does. She's been trying to use the range tonight (two burners plus the oven), and called me, unhappy, because she was trying to cook for company and the range would only work sporadically.

Other possibly useful information: she's used the range to cook 5-6 meals since replacing (or refilling) the tank, it was about 10 degrees out when she called this evening, she said the burner would stay lit if one of her guests went outside and shook the tank, and the range had been used with the tank laying on its side prior to the 5-6 nights of acceptable operation.

What I think is, between the 5-6 night's consumption and tonight's cold temperature, tank pressure is just too low for sufficient flow tonight. I also wonder if the regulator has been compromised somehow by liquid flowing into it when the tank was on its side.

I'd appreciate opinions/thoughts from someone with more knowledge and experience -- what's going on here?

Old 01-26-07, 03:15 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NotJGross

What I think is, between the 5-6 night's consumption and tonight's cold temperature, tank pressure is just too low for sufficient flow tonight. I also wonder if the regulator has been compromised somehow by liquid flowing into it when the tank was on its side.
In the extreme cold, a 20# cylinder is next to useless for anything. The liquid in the tank requires heat to vaporize properly. The heat is in the form of the atmospheric temperature. Even though the boiling point of the liquid is -44 degrees F, in single digit temperatures the liquid can not boil quick enough to build up sufficient pressure.

The tank being on it's size is secondary in my opinion. While the regulator could have been compromised, I would correct the first problem and go from there. I would look for nothing smaller than a 100# cylinder (similar to one of the tanks that were there).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: