GE XL44 - Oven Does Not Work but Broil does...

Old 01-31-07, 12:44 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE XL44 - Oven Does Not Work but Broil does...

With this model I can usually see a blue light that comes from the bottom of the oven.

All the top elements are ok, the broil fires up fine but I can no longer get the oven fired up?

This is an XL44 Self-Cleaning Gas Range.

I just came in one day and noticed that it no longer is working>

Is this as simple as the pilot being out or a pilot needing replacement?

How can I get to the pilot?

Old 01-31-07, 12:51 PM
S
Aha - I think I found my answer =
The chances are that hot surface glowing ignitor (HSI) is weak. May be glowing but not HOT enough to ignite the gas. Therefore, no gas will come out of the gas control valve or very little will come out.

Is there any diagram or a HOW TO on how to get to the HSI?

Old 01-31-07, 03:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello schuey99 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

No diagram should be needed. Simple process for almost anyone to do with commonly used hand tools and a little care. Turn off electrical power or unplug appliance first.

Remove the lower plate/panel in the oven to expose the flame spreader plate. Flame spreader is the part on top of the burner. Will have a wing nut attaching spreader to top of burner. Remove the nut, then the flame spreader.

Hot Surface Igniter (HSI) will be screwed into or onto burner. Unscrew it. Then access behind rear panel through access hole by removing the rubber plug. Plug the HSI wires through the hole and disconnect HSI wires at the quick disconnect.

Purchase HSI from any local appliance parts store. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Replace old HSI with new exact OEM part. Install new HSI exactly as you found the old.

Job done...

More info in the sticky note in this forums topic.
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-01-07, 05:24 AM
S
Hmmmm - I actually have the original schematic diagram that came with the stove. (it is 13yrs old but still in pristine condition!)

Instructions on BAKE BURNER REMOVAL:
(1) Remove oven door and storage/broiler drawer
DONE

(2) REmove the (2) screws on the oven floor at the back of the oven cavity and remove oven floor/deflector
DONE

(3) Remove (2) 1/4" hex head screws from the bracket holding the burner to the back wall of the range (screws located in storage/boiler drawer compartment)
??????????
How in the world can I get to these 2 screws. They seem to be behind and underneath the back wall.
??????????

(4) Remove the screw at the front of the burner
DONE

(5) Disconnect the (2) ignitor wires
still have to do because of step (3)

(6) Remove the bake burner

I need help in STEP (3)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: