compression fittings

Old 02-11-07, 05:17 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question compression fittings

Is it okay to use a compression fitting on the supply line of a gas stove? It is propane gas.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-07, 07:35 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Take a look at this thread. Hank seems to be very kknowledgeable about gas.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=293943

Old 02-11-07, 07:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Cherie. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Excellent question!

I am not well versed on the codes for propane gas. Very likely another member can provide some helpful advice.

But do bare in mind, codes will vary depending upon where you are located. I suggest you inquire about the specific codes that apply to propane gas connections in the area you reside in.

One of several suggestions is to ask the propane supplier. Another is to inquire is at the local city office. Another might be with a licensed to work on gas piping plumber.

Cautionary Reminder:
If and or when you attempt any connections and/or repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved, a connection is made and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-11-07, 04:13 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whether it's "legal" (with in code) or not to use compression fittings is a matter of authority having jurisdiction. "Legalities" and code aside, it is not a wise (or safe) method of joining tubing for gas line.

Having been in the propane business for 15 years, I've seen DIY'rs time and time again use compression fittings and most of the time they leak. If you come across one that leaks and you try to tighten it, it will leak worse.

The best way to join copper tubing to a range (or anything else for that matter is with flare fittings and brass connectors. Use a forged flare nut (short, stubby type) on the tubing and screw it down the appropriate male flared fitting.

If you are attaching copper tubing directly to the range you will also need a connector with the appropriate size flare end to 1/2" male NPT (national pipe thread) end to thread into the range. You will need a tread sealer on the NPT connections. You do not need thread sealer on the flared connections. I recommend using approved pipe dope for gas on the NPT end. It is ok (although I don't recommend it) to use yellow teflon tape for gas, do not under any circumstances use white teflon tape. The gas can eat away at the white tape.

If you don't feel comfortable flaring the tubing, I would be wise spend the few $$ to have it done right. I generally find two different type of people when it comes to gas:

First are the one's that have no respect for it and do what they want, safe or not. Second are the people that are deathly afraid of it and don't want anything to do with it. There is however a happy medium.

In my professional opinion gas is safe as long as you work safely and have respect for it. If you don't know what you're doing, it's not the type of thing that you'd want to figure it out as you go along. The few dollars you save on a service call to have it done right is a drop in the bucket compared to a job done wrong and leaks with out realizing it and no longer have a house or worse, your life.

Old 02-11-07, 04:44 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
just a quick note to hank.

just the other day (swear to God) I was speaking with a fitter at the job I am currently working at. He was working on a gas line and I asked him about the teflon tape situation. He told me it is not code compliant (in Indiana) to use teflon tape of any type for gas lines. Haven't had any verification of that fact but since it is his trade, I suspect he does know his code.