Gas Range burners light but stove doesn't

Old 02-12-07, 08:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Range burners light but stove doesn't

I have a Whirlpool gas range, and the burners on top of the stove light, but the oven does not. In fact, I don't smell any gas, nor do I hear the "clicking" sound that indicates the oven is attempting to light. Is this an easy fix, or do I need to seek a professional?

Old 02-12-07, 04:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello jrhamm1 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

In order to help you, you need to help us first. Will need to know what type of ignition system the oven uses.

A constant burning pilot flame?

Or

A Hot Surface Glow Igniter? (HSI)

Or

A sparking element that lights, by sparking, a pilot flame?

Appliances age and model number would also be helpful.

If the oven uses an HSI, chances are the glowing igniter is burned out and will need a replacement.

Kindly use the reply button and add more details and specific info pertaining to the ignition system used on that appliance.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

More Help In This Link: (Or Read The Forum Topics Sticky Note)
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-13-07, 08:04 AM
J
Question Gas Range burners light but stove doesn't

Thanks, Sharp, for your response. I'm fairly confident that my oven uses either the HSI or the sparking element, although I can't say for sure. What I do know is that typically it would make a clicking noise as the gas was released into the oven, which makes me believe it is a sparking element, but it does not click now. If this truly is the case, is this something I can repair on my own? Also, if that element had burned out, would that prohibit the oven from emitting gas as a safety precaution? Again, the burners on the stove light fine, so I feel good about the gas connection.

Old 02-14-07, 06:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: jrhamm1

If you are not sure which type of ignition system the oven uses but hear or did hear a sparking sound prior, the oven likely uses a spark ignition to light a pilot. If no sparking is heard now, the spark module is likely burned out or the fuse near or next to the module, located some where, is burned out.

You will need to locate that module, remove it and replace it. Also likely, the sparking element pilot assembly is defective and may also need replacing. Read that sticky note. Determine from it what type of ignition system is used and proceed from there.

***Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

***Read The Sticky Help Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Or copy and paste the below link into your browsers address bar. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-14-07, 08:13 AM
J
Gas Range burners light but stove doesn't

Thanks again. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this quickly. I appreciate your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: