Oven temperature way off

Old 02-19-07, 04:07 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oven temperature way off

I have a GE XL44 natural gas oven. The only problem we have with it is the tempurature of the oven is off at least 75 degrees. If you set it that much lower, it stays consistant, it's just not right.
Is it worth trying to make an adjustment in there or is it just better to replace the thermostat system? I think with just a little guidance I can fix it, please send help, my wife is throwing a fit every time she trys to bake something.
Thanks for the help.

Old 02-20-07, 06:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello xexman44. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

If the temperature is consistently low and there is no obstructions in the oven and no foil used, thermostat is defective. Usually an integrated part of the main circuit board. Which means the entire board will need to be replaced.

Turn off electrical power or unplug appliance. Access behind panel and look for temp sensor tube connecting to electronic part. May be connected directly to main board or to a sub-part. Which ever it is will have to be replaced.

Any temperature above or below 50 degrees of the set temp, a calibration of the thermostat will not correct the problem. Calibrations are not possible as a do-it-yourself task or project. Entire part replacement is required.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first. Test for leaks on all connections using leak detection soap.

Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in one thread.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-21-07, 12:58 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
that should do it.

Thank you for all the good advice. I'll start out simple and adjusted the knob all the way. Probably won't do it but it's a start. Then i'll start looking into changing the board like you said. I'm kind of hoping I can't fix it, then I have a good excuse to get one of those new fancy grill/stove tops.
This is an amazing website, thank you for offering it to us.
JB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: