Trouble with Whirlpool gas dryer.

Old 03-19-07, 12:28 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trouble with Whirlpool gas dryer.

After reviewing archived articles on the subject of gas dryers not heating, I need to ask a little final advice before going to get parts.

Lets start with the problem:

My Whirlpool gas dryer (4yrs old) starts the drying cycle gets hot, runs for aprox. ten minutes, then stops. Then the coil glows and it does not relight, it does this every 20-30 seconds or so. After letting it cool it will relight.

Actions I've taken:

1. The first thing I did was to clean lint trap, vent, blower and any where there was a place for lint to build up.

nope not it.

2. Then I checked the thermal fuse (bypasssed it).

nope.

Things I believe it may be:

1. My first thought is it is a solenoid in the gas valve sticking after it gets warm and not allowing it to light.

2. Next maybe an igniter coil?? Should this glow continually when the dryer is running?? Mine does not. Glows every 20-30 seconds and never ignites after dryer is hot and quits.

3. Maybe the thermostat???

Anyone with a good suggestion please let me know, I know it's been talked about before but i've read several different peoples opinions, so I wanted to get opinions for my specific problem. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

JR

Old 03-19-07, 02:16 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello JR. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Once the burner lights and a flame is established, the glow igniter will turn off. That is the normal operating condition.

Since the problem you described differs, (starts the drying cycle gets hot, runs for aprox. ten minutes, then stops.) chances are one of the solenoids (2) is dropping out. Solenoids coil of windings ground out internally.

Happens when a solenoids gets hot or warm. Losses the ability to hold the current that is flowing through it, which keeps it operating (holding the tiny gas valve opened) and the valve shuts down.

They are not all that difficult to replace nor expensive. Repair info in the dryer sticky note. http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159481

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: