Copper gas line??? Worried

Old 03-26-07, 03:55 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper gas line??? Worried

Hi,
I was on the Electric forum for a couple of questions. The answer to one has sent me here. Can someone help with this? (If I need to go to another department, please let me know.)
--1991 house; had to replace drop-in gas stove. Up-Graded to same style RITZY model.
--Out of the wall comes copper gas tubing, shut off valve, gas regulator, and a new flexible gas line hooking into the stove.
--The size of the gas regulator made stove fit too tight. Punched temporary hole in drywall so stove could slide in place. Didn't get framed in before a mouse visited...but am now.

Issue & QUESTIONS:
---When company installers came out to hook up my stove, I asked about the copper tubing for the gas line. The guy said that was all he was familiar with, all he had ever seen. (He was in his late 40's or early 50's...so I was suprised!)

--- I've always had fixed, galvanized gas pipe coming out of my walls/floor for my stoves to connect with. This house has copper tubing. It looks like the same 1/4-inch copper tubing I've used to run water to a refrigerator. DOES THIS SOUND CORRECT? Or, do I have something unusual going on?
---I'm in Charlotte, NC. I've lived all over the US & have NEVER seen this. The tubing has quite a few kinks (just shy of crimped) in it. If this needs to be changed, I want to do it before I close up the wall. The tubing comes straight thru the wall from my utility room, very near my hot water heater. All easily accessible, and visible.
---If this is ok, is that why I have the regulator? I've never had a gas regulator with a stove hook up before. (The old stove used the regulator also.)
----Frankly this has me on edge, and so I'm hoping to get input very soon.
As usual, THANKS for your help. Anna

Old 03-26-07, 04:20 PM
H
I would be more concerned about the kinks in the line than the fact that it's copper. With that said, I would have it replaced. It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade it to 1/2" iron pipe.

You didn't say if it's propane or natural gas. The additional regulator you have behind the stove may or may not be needed. Chances are it's not.

Old 03-26-07, 05:07 PM
A
Red face Regulator not needed?

Man...Geeezzz! Regulator may not be needed, that is why I cut open the wall to begin with -- bummer! So tell me:
--Who do I call? A PLUMBER?
--Will he/she know if the regulator is necessary?
--If line/copper tubing is crimped (per my plumber), and needs to be replaced, WHAT do I say/HOW do I tell them I want it to be black pipe? (I don't want to come off 1/2 baked, exocentric, or mean.)
Thanks, Anna

Old 03-27-07, 02:05 PM
H
I didn't say it's not needed. Based on the information provided I can not say either way.

As far as who you should call is based on whether or not you use natural gas or propane. If you use propane, call your gas company. They should know what will need to be done based on local code, appliance spec's, etc.

If you use natural gas, I would consult with a plumber that is familiar with natural gas. Not all plumbers work with gas and are not familiar with load calculations based on your appliances.

If you can give me the make and model of the range I may be able to tell you if that regulator is needed or not. Also specify if you use natural gas or propane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: