Old Chambers oven - burner question

Old 04-03-07, 02:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Old Chambers oven - burner question

While cleaning up an old Chambers model "C", I encountered a small problem. After cleaning the burners (took a pipe cleaner to the holes, etc.) and reconnecting burners to the centered pilot light via the flash tubes, I noticed that while the burners fired up just fine, and I'm having no trouble adjusting the flame height - the flame continues to burn at the small ignition hole closest to the pilot tube. I believe this flame is supposed to extinguish once the burner ring fires up. I am only able to adjust the gas flow (mixer pin) and the air intake (mixer shutter) and have tried every variation of settings.
Am I mistaken? Should this stay lit? When I initially tested burners, I had to use a match, as the pilot tubes were not attached and have no way of knowing if this small flame is normal.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hammersmith71; 04-03-07 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 06:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello hammersmith71. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Those holes in the side of the burner are called ignition ports. The ignition ports (holes) are suppose to remain lit (with flames) as long as the burner is on. That's normal operation for them to continue burning with flames. Nothing unusual.

While adjusting air flow (at the sir shutter) and gas volume (at the orifice) be sure not to open shutter too much or there will likely be a popping sound when burner is on or too much air may cause blowing flames at burner head (burner ring) and/or burner may not light at all or may light but not do so quickly enough, etc. Several possible undesired conditions.

Opening the orifice to allow for larger flames may over gas burner(s) causing excessively large flames. Yellow flames or yellow tipped flames. Which will produce unburned gas odors and sooting to bottom of pots and pans, etc. Neither of which is desired conditions.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 04-14-07, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you

The owners of the stove were concerned about the continuous burning @ the ports, but I was almost certain that it was normal.
Again, thank you for setting the record!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: