Maytag MGS5770 Gas Range F1 Error

Old 04-11-07, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Maytag MGS5770 Gas Range F1 Error

I have a Maytag MGS5770 Gas Range and received the infamous F1 error during self-cleaning. Maytag pointed me to some local repair folks but am waiting for a call back to ask specific questions. So far, I know that one will charge $65 just to step foot in my house, then add on parts and labor as needed.

All the posts about this problem state that either the ERC ($145 on RepairClinic.com) or the Oven Sensor ($39 on RepairClinic.com) needs to be replaced. That'd be $65 for the visit, plus at most $145 for the ERC and possibly $145 for the labor (assuming that they'll charge the usual 100% markup for labor).

NONE of the many posts about this problem say anything about how to get the door to unlock. I've had the range unplugged for over 5 hours and still get the error message when I plug it back it. All I'm able to do is stop the incessant beeping by pressing CANCEL.

I can probably save a few bucks by replacing the ERC and Sensor myself. I'm fairly handy and it doesn't seem to be that difficult to replace either. That is if I can figure out how to open the darn oven door.

Does anyone know how to open the oven door on this model when it's locked?

Please help if you can. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 11:40 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello jdegeorge. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

Most likely you will need to remove trim moldings and or the entire front panel to access the locking device. Then you will need to manually release it. Be sure the electrical power is turned off or the wall plug removed from the wall outlet first.

Information pertaining to the codes are below.

F0 - F1 - F7....Code Condition Check or Repair Required.
Determining if problem is within the Key Panel or Control by trying this procedure:

First: Pushing CLEAR/OFF pad.
Second: Disconnecting the Ribbon Cable from control module.
Waiting at least 1 minute, then reconnect.
If the code recurs the problem is in the control.
Replacing the control is requred.
If code does not recur, problem is with the Key Panel.
If the keypad is stuck it may mean the relay is turned on.

F0 - F1 - F7 Code Condition Check or Repair is Required.
Determining if the problem is within the Key Panel or Control by trying this procedure:

First: Push the CLEAR/OFF button on the control pad.

Second: Disconnect the Ribbon Cable from control module. Waiting at least 1 minute, then reconnect.

If the code recurs the problem is in the control. Replacing the control is requred.

If code does not recur, problem is with the Key Panel.

If the keypad is stuck it may mean the relay is turned on.

Range/Stove/Oven Fault Codes:
F1 - Defective touch pad or membrane - Replace touch pad or membrane. This problem is usually the touch pad.

F1 - Watchdog on board - Replace touch pad or clock assembly (also called the ERC)

F1 - Power to element relay energized during time of day display - Wiring harness shorted or change power relay board (PRB)
Note: for double ovens, change second oven board.

How to test many brands of Ranges/Ovens that are flashing a F1 fault code: You may have either a bad ERC (clock) or a bad touch pad.

Disconnect power to stove. Gain access to the back of the clock (electronic range control or ERC).

Unplug the touch pad ribbon connector from the ERC. This will be a flat wire approx. 1 1/2" to 2" wide. Make sure everything is clear and will not short out when power is turned back on.

Turn power back on to stove. Watch for the F1 and listen for the beep. If you get the F1 and beep, replace the ERC.

After approx. 30 minutes if you do NOT get the F1 and hear the beep, replace the touch pad.

Carefully check the wires to and from the oven temp sensor.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 04-16-07, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Still have F1 Message and Oven Door Still LOCKED!

Sharp

It's been almost a week and the oven's still locked! The beeping stopped, thanfully, after pressing a few buttons on the control panel.

I'm trying to get to the back of the control panel to check the ribbon cable as you're suggesting, but I can't get the panel off. There are 2 visible screws on the side of the exterior that I can remove, but the other 2 screws holding on the control panel are underneath it and blocked by the oven door that won't open.

I already tried to get the top off to no avail, and there's no access from the sides of the unit either. It seems like catch 22. I need to take off the control panel in order to unlock the oven door, but I have to open the oven door in order to take off the control panel!

In your opinion, is this even a servicable item? I really don't want to call in a repairman if it's not servicable.