Thermador PRSG304S oven and left simmer burners problem

Old 04-18-07, 06:25 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermador PRSG304S oven and left simmer burners problem

Hi, I have an 8 year old Thermador PRSG304S. It was converted to use propane instead of natural gas. We been having 2 problems with the stove.

1. When we turn on the oven, it will not heat up. Sometimes (30+ minutes or more) it will finally heat, but, most of the time not. The only way we can get the oven to light up is to turn on one of the 4 burners on the stove top. It does not matter which burner to turn on. But, as long as one is on, the oven maintains the right temperature. If I turn the burner on to get the oven to light, turn the burner off, and the oven cools down, it will not re-fire to maintain temperature. Now a days, I have to keep a kettle of water on a lit burner in order to keep the oven working. When I look under the oven, I do see a small fire light (pilot?). But, it does not heat up the oven. Do I need to install an "Oven Burner Ignitor"? I believe this was replace once when the stove was a couple of years old. How easy is it to replace? Just unplug and replug?

2. This stove has 2 extra low simmer burner. Both of them are having problems. The left bottom burner can only be turned to high. If I lower the flame, the burner turns off. If I turn the flame back to high, everything is OK. The left back burner sometimes turn on and sometimes not. When I turn the knob, sometimes, you hear the clicking ignition sound. Sometimes I hear nothing. In this case, no fire in the burner. I was told that I need to replace the simmer control and the potentiometer for these burners. I think the simmer control is just unplug and replace. Is that the case with the poltentiometers?

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-19-07, 07:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Novice134

#1 Question:
The spark igniter for the oven needs to be replaced, if the ovens thermostat does not activate sparking at it. Or, the switch in the thermostat is defective not allowing the oven sparker to activate without the top burner being on. That's why the oven sparker needs to be activated by a top burners sparker. And the burner must remain on, while the oven is on.

#2 Question:
When the simmer flame setting isn't working correctly on a burner without a thermostat sensor, (potentiometer) this can often be fixed. However, doing so requires a disassembly of the gas valve to clear the tiny hole(s) in the core valve.

Not always any easy job or a do it yourself task. Valve has several components to remove and reinstall. And those parts must be valve grease lubed and reinstalled correctly or the valve will leak gas around the core.

However, you might try this. Most of the simmer burners have a top cap that can be unscrewed. If so, remove it and check for obstructions down the center tube and the holes in the cap. If flames do not appear all the way around the cap and/or all the flames are not equal in size, the cap has obstructions. Clear them.

#2 A
When a simmer burner has a temp sensor (potentiometer) and the burner has a problem sensing temp and/or holding temp, etc. the entire valve must be replaced, if one is even available. Inquire at a local appliance parts store for any of the above.

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Moderator Hiring and Promotions Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 04-21-07, 05:52 AM
N
Sharp Advice, thanks for the answering my questions.

For Q1, I went into repairclinic.com to look for the parts, but, am not clear what I should be buying. Can you please clarify?

For Q2, since my stove has a potentiometer, it sounds like you are saying I should replace the entire gas valve. Sounds like I need an expert for this. Right?

Thanks.

Old 04-21-07, 07:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Novice134

Q1:
My suggestion is to inquire at a local retail appliance parts store in your town or area. Unless you know exactly what part(s) you need, and what part is defective, etc, best not to order online, in my opinion.

Retail appliance parts stores can and often will provide help, know if parts are correct for the appliance, part(s) will correct the problem, possible there are two possible or likely causes, etc. Lot's of professional advice which cannot be obtained from online retailers.

Q2:
The top burner with the potentiometer (Temperature Sensor) cannot be repaired. Entire valve with temp sensor has to be replaced, if the part is available. The exact original manufacturers part must be installed. Inquire at any local appliance part store.

Not sure, nor is there a means for me to know your mechanical abilities, if you need an appliance service person or not. Depends upon your self confidence and abilities, etc to remove and replace that part. If you are not exactly sure what needs to be done and exactly how to do it, then yes, hire a pro.

Old 11-24-07, 11:24 AM
N
Well, it took us a while, but, we finally bought an oven ignitor and a potentiometer kit (it contains the controller also). I called Thermador to confirm that I have the right potentiometer. The potentiometer and controller were easy to replace (10 min). At first, I thought we could purchase only the potentiometer. However, it was a good thing we bought the whole kit. Besides one of the potentiometers having a scorch mark, the controller board has scorch marks on some of the contacts too! Can someone advise why the potentiometer and controller have scorch marks?

For the oven ignitor, it took a little time to figure out how to replace it. Thank goodness for the internet. We found out that the oven door can be remove. So, my husband took off the oven door, remove the bottom of the oven, and replace the ignitor. We are good to go!

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-24-08, 03:50 PM
W
Dear Sharp Advice (or others), I have a Thermador SGS 30S Gas cooktop (about 8 years old). I recently renovated the kitchen, but kept the cooktop as it we love it. Now unfortunately, the electrostart continues to fire even after the burners light. I have replaced the spark control module, to no effect other than the left rear burner now no longer fires. The other three still work, but the electrostart still continues to fire. I have ordered a new overall Control unit and plan to replace that tonight. Could I be wasting my time and money by overlooking an obvious cause? The unit is NOT wet and has not been dropped or damaged. A colleague mentioned the potentiometers as a possible problem - does this make any sense?
By the way Thermador now apparently offers no technical support - even to Architects like me. When i called them they referred me to a local repair shop, which wasn't interested in hearing my problem, but just wanted to send out a repair man at a minimum cost of $150 for the visit!

Thanks, Williamrog

Old 06-25-08, 05:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Williamrog. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

One of the common causes for top burner sparkers to continue to spark once a flame is established, which I suspect is what you're describing as the condition with your appliance, is a lack of heat to the sparkers element.

When the sparker is heated, the heat changes the electrical resistance in the sparker. The heat raises the resistance to electrical flow, which is sensed by the module and in turn turns off the sparking. Be sure the burner flames impinge the elements and the element s are clean.

Another may be the module itself. Not as likely in this instance since you already replaced that part. Problem now is why does one sparker not fire and the others do. Not the same condition as originally stated before and after part replacement....???.......

Yet another possible cause is one of the switches on the top burner knobs is not opening, breaking the internal electrical contact when you turn it off the start position. You'll need to turn off the power and test each switch for continuity opened and closed to determine if this may be the cause and which switch may be the problem.

Additional Help Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

"Be sure the electrical power and the gas supply to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-14-08, 10:44 AM
T
Dear Sharp Advice,

We recently experience a similar problem. The two extra low simmer burners (pro harmony P30 bought in 2007) work fine, but then, seemingly randomly, when the extra low burner is turned on, we hear the spark click, then a little pop (sounds like failed ignition), and the extra low burners are dead. All the other stove functions work great.

I can recover them by switching off the power (unplug the unit or flip the breaker). This seems to reset the unit. This problem occurs about 10-20% of the time.

Any ideas? Could it be a gas pressure issue? Clogged jet? etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-08, 11:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello thermadont and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

If you're lighting the effected burners in the high flame size first and then lower the flame into the smaller flame size (extra low or simmer flame) you're doing it correctly.

If you're attempting to light the simmer flame size (extra low) in the simmer setting, what you're experiencing can and often does result. No fix for it I am aware of, if if trying to light the burner in any low setting first.

If by DEAD you mean does not light in that setting, the above pertains. If DEAD means totally stops working as in no gas, that's another entire issue. Kindly elaborate and advise.

Use the reply button icon again. Unfortunately, I cannot easily separate different posts within this original thread. Each is unique unto it self.

Usually always best to start a new post for each member and each appliance with a same or similar problem. Not the case here, so we shall continue this one.

Old 12-14-08, 10:27 PM
T
Thank you Sharp Advice,

To elaborate, we try to light it on the high setting. The igniter sparks once just like normal, but the burner fails to light (there is a sound similar to the sound it makes when the flame ignites, but no flame - as if it blew out).

By dead, I mean that after a failed light, both extra low simmer burners won't relight. There is no spark, not gas, nada. We can recover the usage of the burners by turning off the power to the stove.

Any idea?

Thank you,

Old 12-15-08, 05:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: thermadont

When the burner(s) won't relight after the event happens, does any other top burner work?

Does the oven light? Yes or No? Meaning the Hot Surface Igniter (HSI) glow and the burner lights? Yes? No?

The 2 questions are an attempt to determine if there is no electrically power to the entire appliance or just the effected top burners.

And if the other electrical circuits of this appliance operate.

Control panel On? Clock work? Etc?

Once all the above is known to me and maybe any other moderator in my topic, if they are also reading this question?, I (we) can more specifically determine where the power failure is and loss of gas is.

Meaning, if no power to the entire appliance, could be the electronic controller board (ECB) total or partial failure, a localized only to the top burner(s) spark ignition module failure (all burners no sparking) only effected top burner sparkers in operative but not any others, ?????

Can the effected top burners be lighted with a match? You say no gas but are you positive? Try to light a top burner with a match when the event occurs and advise.

The condition(s) you're trying to describe and the occasional occurrences makes this condition/problem rather difficult to determine exactly what the problem is. As a result, lots of specifics need to be known to avoid replacing potentially expensive parts that do not and or will not solve the problem.

Described condition may require an in home appliance service tech... Might have to call the manufacturers customer service number and inquire if they have had such conditions with that brand and model and do know what causes it. Likely you are not the only one having the problem and their service techs know the solution(s).

Old 12-15-08, 07:31 PM
T
Thanks again.

Top 2 right side (regular burners) work and the oven works fine when the left side (extra low simmer) burners quit.

In the manual, it says only the regular burners can be lit manually in the event of a power failure.

There is no gas, we can't light the left side burners via match after they quit.

There is no panel on this unit, it is all analog. I doubt this is related, but the oven light doesn't work anymore ever. Haven't checked if it is burned out or not yet.

Hope this narrows things down a bit.

Thanks,

Old 12-16-08, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus

Only two things narrowed down. One is the oven light does not work (bulb may be burned out or no electrical power to it) and two is there is no control panel. (Non digital display.)

What is established and known is oven operates and two top burners operate when simmer burners fail. .... humm....???

If the two effected burners are not of the child proof type and there is no safety device used for those two burners (that would turn off the gas in the event of flame outage) to prevent unburned gas from escaping while burner is ON and flame is not present, which is another possibility, appliance needs to be serviced by an appliance tech.

I'm totally out of possible causes to offer........ Without actually being on site and seeing the condition in person when the condition/problem exists.

As mentioned prior:

"Described condition may require an in home appliance service tech... Might have to call the manufacturers customer service number and inquire if they have had such conditions with that brand and model and do know what causes it. Likely you are not the only one having the problem and their service techs know the solution(s)."
Also:
Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Old 12-21-08, 10:11 AM
T
Thank you,

One thing I forgot to mention. It is propane, although I don't think that should make any difference.

Is there any chance low gas pressure could contribute to the original misfire?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: