New valve on propane tanks??? When??

Old 04-22-07, 09:36 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Question New valve on propane tanks??? When??

I have a propane tank that came with my Sears grill (just under 3 yrs old), that I only need to fill a couple times a year. I took the tank to get filled today, and much to my surprise, the clerk stated that my tank's valve was not the "new" type, and he could not refill it. He said I had to get a new tank with the proper valve. I just had this tank filled less than a year ago, and was not aware of any changes. And I certainly would have thought that Sears would have sent me something - they are usually very good about that sort of thing. So now I am wondering...when did this happen?? I have searched onlne, and I can't find any reference anywhere to a recent change in the valve type. ??

Old 04-23-07, 05:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The new valves have a triangular shaped handle and have OPD stamped on them. Between late 1998 and 2002, only the OPD equipped tanks could be made. After April 2002, only tanks with the OPD could be refilled

No tanks with the old valves may be filled.

You can buy a new valve, but the valve alone often costs as much as a new tank with the valve already installed.

They also have several safety 'features' built into them. They will automatically close if in a fire, they cab also restrict the flow of unregulated gas (in the case of a leak in the line, etc). This is why on the new tanks, your grill must be off before you open the tank valve, or you won't get enough gas flow to light it.

Old 04-23-07, 08:31 AM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Cool That can't be right.

"After April 2002, only tanks with the OPD could be refilled"

I purchased the grill in 2003. How the heck could they sell it with a tank that could not be refilled?? The last time I had it refilled was summer of 2006. Again...how could that be? And I'm really not questioning your statement...but how could this have happened? It just doesn't make any sense. ??

Old 04-23-07, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your state may allow them to be filled/sold until the existing supply was exhausted and/or until the tank needed replacing. Florida does not.

Maybe the last place that filled it did you a favor by refilling it so you wouldn't have to immediately replace the tank to bbq that weekend. Who knows.

Old 04-23-07, 04:31 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Even through you purchased the grill in '03, when was the tank made? There should be a date stamped into the collar of the tank.

In my travels I come across many ignorant people that fill these tanks. It is often some minimum wage grunt employee that either a) wasn't properly trained to fill them (fault of the employer or propane provider), or b) doesn't bother checking the date and valve (fault of the employee).

Old 04-23-07, 07:43 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Have you priced a new tank..they cost very little

Old 04-24-07, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New full tank, about $40.. Then you'll need new gas line and regulator, unless your setup will allow just a new tank connection..
The biggest difference with the new tanks is a float in them that doesn't allow overfilling the tank..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: