Natural Gas BBQ Installation Question

Old 05-07-07, 06:26 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Natural Gas BBQ Installation Question

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum , but i wanted to ask a question regarding a natural gas bbq.

I recently bought a new ng bbq to replace our old ng bbq and the new one came with a new line and quick connect. I want to replace the old quick connect and was wondering if this is something that i can just do myself without getting the gas fitter in that installed my gas line for the bbq?

If so is it just a case of putting on some teflon tape and screwing it down and then check it with some soapy water to look for any leaks??

Thanks and sorry if it's in the wrong group.
Gord

Old 05-07-07, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Gas BBQ

As long as there is a valve upstream of quick connect, I see no reason you couldn't change the fitting. Here, we are not allowed to use teflon tape. The inspectors insist on a non-teflon pipe dope on the threads. Just be sure to use one approved for use on natural gas & leave the end two threads undoped. We'll let you slide on the wrong(?) forum thing if you invite us over for a steak dinner.

Old 05-07-07, 07:33 PM
G
Thanks for the 'dope' on the thread dope ,, how would i find out if teflon tape is okay in my area or not ? And as for the steak ,,, come on over ,, but bring your own beer ,,can't afford that with the new bbq and deck.

Gord

Old 05-08-07, 03:08 PM
H
Gordow, regardless is teflon tape is ok to use in your area or not, I would stay away from it. Gas will eat through white teflon. Yellow teflon is gas approved but I wouldn't recommend it.

Like Grady said, use a pipe dope (thread sealer) and you shouldn't have any problems. The brands I usually use is Gasoila and Leak Lock. Again, make use it specifies on the bottle that it's good for natural gas. Most hardware or big box stores should carry it.

Old 05-08-07, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs down Teflon

Listen to what HankHill said. When it comes to gas, around here, he's da man.

The only thing I use teflon on is water.

Old 05-08-07, 06:35 PM
G
actually i did some searching on google about "pipe dope" for natural gas lines and many said the same thing about teflon ,, not that i was doubting him / anyone ,, but i had teflon tape handy and thought it might save a trip out to the hardware store ,, buuttt ,, seeing as i have other things for my deck building to be picked up ,, i'll get some proper sealant when i go pick up my odds and ends for the deck , just have to wait on those steaks though boys for at least a couple of more day ;(

Thanks for all the input guys ,, helps a know it not out big time.

Gord

Old 05-09-07, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Smart Move

You are a wise man. Asking BEFORE doing qualifies you as such. We can't begin to tell you how many posts are the result of NOT asking. Then sometimes there is a real mess. BTW, I like rib eye, medium rare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: